Download DD Form 2860 Claim for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)
DD Form 2860 Instructions
If you are applying for the first time, submitting a DD Form 2060 and some proof of your issue will be enough. If you are reapplying for new disabilities, request a reconsideration application from your service branch. All information must be typed or printed. Do not leave any blank spaces, if you do not know the answer, enter "Don't Know" or "DK". You must identify the disabilities that you are claiming.
- Section I requires basic identifying information. This includes your full name, social security number, mailing address, and contact information.
- Check the box that best describes your case in Section II, Preliminary CRSC Criteria. You must provide evidence of the retirement authority by attaching a copy of your Retirement Orders and/or a copy of your 15-year letter.
- Section III requires information about your history of military service. Attach a DD Form 214 and other applicable paperwork to prove your service during the time period you specify.
- Describe the disability you are claiming in Section IV. Try to provide as much information, as possible. Fill in the title of disability, its effects, and conditions, and describe the events surrounding the disability. Attach any related paperwork, award narratives describing your injury and similar documents to support your claim. Only send copies of your original paperwork - these documents will not be returned.
- You have to meet the Final CRSC Criteria in order to apply for the VA compensation. The application form will require you to provide an Origin of Disability Code, that identifies the circumstances that caused the disability in Box 13c.
- Section V lists the documents you are required to submit to support your claim.
- Complete Section VI to enable the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) or the applicable pay center to make CRSC payments if you qualify for any.
- Sign, date, and print the form. The DD 2860 cannot be submitted electronically: mail the document to the branch of service you retired from.
- Army retirees must send paperwork to the Army Human Resources Command (ATTN: AHRC-PDP-V) 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Dept. 480, Fort Knox, KY 40122
- Navy and Marine Corps retirees must mail forms to the Secretary of the Navy, Council of Review Boards (ATTN: Combat-Related Special Compensation Branch) 720 Kennon Street SE, Suite 309, Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023
- Air Force retirees must send forms to the United States Air Force Disability Division (CRSC), HQ AFPC/DPPDC, 550 C Street West, Suite 6, Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4708
- Former Coast Guard service members mail forms to the Commander (PSC-PSD-de) at Personnel Service Center, U.S. Coast Guard Stop 7200, 4200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 1100, Arlington, VA 20598-7200
- NOAA Corps retirees send applications to the Director, Commissioned Personnel Center, 8403 Colesville Road, Suite 500, Silver Spring, MD 20910-6333
- Public Health Service retirees mail forms to the United States Public Health Service Compensation Branch, Program Support Center, ESS, 5600 Fishers Lane, Room 4-50, Rockville, MD 20857-0001
If your application is approved, you will receive a letter of approval. Your monthly payments will start 30 to 60 days after your branch sends your approval letter.