DD Form 1387-2 Special Handling Data/Certification
What Is DD Form 1387-2?
DD Form 1387-2, Special Handling Data/Certification is a form used to provide instructions on the handling of a specific item in a shipment during dispatch and transportation. The form is required for any classified, hazardous military cargo and for any shipment that requires special handling.
The Department of Defense (DoD) released the most recent edition of the form - sometimes incorrectly referred to as the DA Form 1387-2 - in November 2004 with all previous editions obsolete. Download and file an up-to-date DD Form 1387-2 fillable version below or find it on the Executive Services Directorate website.
The DD Form 1387, Military Shipment Label is a related form used for marking all military shipments and providing coded information on the shipped cargo.
How to Fill out DD Form 1387-2?
DD Form 1387-2 instructions are as follows:
- Box 1 requires specifying the item nomenclature;
- Box 2 should contain the net quantity of items per package;
- Box 3 requires the transportation control number (TCN) of the package. The total gross weight of each pallet or package shipped under the same TCN must be provided in Box 4;
- The address of the destination of the shipment should be provided in Box 5. Box 6 is for listing all the requirements for sensitive, hazardous or classified cargo requiring protection or other special services while in-transit;
- Boxes 7 and 8 should сontain reference to the applicable chapter of the Defense Transportation Regulation and handling instructions for the shipment;
- The in-the-clear address of shipping activity is given in Box 9 along with the name and signature of the officer completing the form. A copy of the DD Form 1387-2 should be attached to each container.
If the information on the form is classified, filing procedures are as follows:
- One copy of the form is completed, signed before being forwarded and stored in the air terminal IAW security regulations and instructions;
- This copy will be attached to the air manifest;
- Three additional copies of the form must be marked with "See Aircraft Commander's copy" and "Protective Service Required" (entered in Box 6) with Boxes 3, 4, and 5 completed and the rest of the form blank;
- The form will be placed in a waterproof envelope and attached to the first container of the shipment.