DD Form 1348-5 Instructions
The DD 1348-5 form is a three-part carbonless document of pin-feed, tear-away paper. It accommodates 10 printed characters per inch and may be prepared manually or digitally.
For all classified shipments and some unclassified shipments for all countries, the paper is prepared manually by default. The legal representative will need to submit a corresponding request to the Director of the Defense Logistics Agency in case a mechanized Notice of Availability is required.
The NOA has an assigned number that is - at the same time - the control number of the shipment. In case the TCN is not assigned (e.g. when the dispatch is made on a commercial bill of lading), the shipping activity assigns its own FMS notice number.
The filing of the NOA is mostly self-explanatory. The date when the paper is sent should be entered in the 'Notice of Availability/Shipment' block. The 'Notice Number' block is intended for the TCN or GBL assigned to the dispatch. In case the data that describes the type pack, weight, pieces, and cube is already specified in the DD 1348-1A, it can be omitted in the DD 1348-5.
The fully completed manually-filed Notice of Availability is mailed to the FF or CR indicated in the MAPAD.
DD 1348-5 Related Forms
- DD Form 1348, DOD Single Line Item Requisition System Document (Manual);
- DD Form 1348-1A, Issue Release/Receipt Document;
- DD Form 1348-2, Issue Release/Receipt Document with Address Label;
- DD Form 1348-6, DoD Single Line Item Requisition System Document (Manual - Long Form);
- DD Form 1348-7, DoD MILSPETS DFSP Shipment and Receipt Document;
- DD Form 1348-8, DoD MILSPETS: DFSP Inventory Accounting Document and End-Of-Month Report.