DD Form 2293 Instructions
You need to make sure you have provided all the documents and all the data required for your request to be processed in a timely and efficient manner. The two main forms used to apply for former spouse payments are:
- The military Form DD 2293 - properly completed and signed;
- A copy of the applicable court order signed by the clerk of court.
The final page of the DFAS DD Form 2293 contains detailed instructions on filing the application. The form also contains the addresses and fax numbers to which the documents should be sent depending on the Uniformed Service designated agent.
Here is the list of items you may also need to attach to your application:
- A certified copy of a Divorce Decree or its substitute;
- A marriage certificate - in cases when the date of marriage is not specified in the court order;
- Copies of birth certificates - if applying for child support. Alternatively, indicate birth dates of children within the form;
- A completed Direct Deposit and an IRS W4-P.
Attach the document that includes entitlement award information in case it is not indicated in the court order. This paperwork may be either mailed to the corresponding address or faxed. Please make sure all forms are clear and legible before sending.
DD 2293 Related Forms
There are several more forms related to the DD 2293. These include:
- DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record is used to initiate the correction of military records.
- DFAS-CL Form 1059, Direct Deposit Authorization is necessary for providing instructions for payments directly to a bank account.
- DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty is the document provided to all service members upon their retirement, separation, or discharge from military duty.
- DD Form 1172-2, Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment is used to apply for an identification card or enroll an individual into DEERS to make them eligible for Department of Defense benefits and privileges.
- DD Form 2656, Data for Payment of Retired Personnel is designed to collect the data necessary for establishing a retired pay account.
- DD Form 2656-1 and 2656-10 are needed to elect SBP coverage for spouses and to make a deemed election request respectively.
- VA Form 10-10EZ, Application For Health Benefits is used by Veterans to apply for health care benefits.
- DD Form 2837, Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) Application has to be completed by certain ex-military health care beneficiaries in order to request coverage under the CHCBP.