How to Fill Out DA Form 1559?
An overview of the form and filing guidelines can be found in the Army Regulation 20-1, Inspector General Activities and Procedures, released in November 2010. DA Form 1559 instructions are as follows:
- The form is filed either by complainant personally or by the Inspector General.
- The top line of the form requires the complainant's personal identifying information. This includes their full name, grade or rank, their DoD ID number along, component and status.
- The next line requires the complainant's unit, the unit's full address, and a preferred contact phone number (a personal cell phone number, home phone or a contact number at the current place of duty).
- The complainant has to provide their preferred mailing address (a military address or home address) and e-mail.
- The next box - Item 9 - requires a description of the specific action that the complainant would like to request from the IG.
- Item 10 is for the background information on the case and the list of all supporting documentation attached to the form. The complainant may additional sheets if the space provided on the DA 1559 is not enough to describe the issue in full.
- The next two boxes are for the complainant's consent to the release of their private information and the attached documentation to the IG. Consent is voluntary, but a refusal can lead to delays or make the issue unresolvable.
- To initiate the investigation, the complainant must sign and date the form and submit it to the IG for processing.