DA Form 2166-8 Instructions
The DA 2166-8 is regulated by the Department of the Army Pamphlet 623-3, Evaluation Reporting System released in November 2015. Filing procedures are as follows:
- Part 1 of the form requires the NCO's basic personal information: their name, SSN, rank, contact information and the appropriate identifying rates and codes.
- Part 2, Box A requires the evaluating officer to provide their personal information needed for completing the form. Boxes B and С require the same information from any senior raters or reviewers who are also participating in the rating process. All reviewers and raters have to sign off the final evaluation report before sending it further.
- Parts 3 and 4 consist of a self-assessment. The NCO must provide their own take on their assigned responsibilities and appointed duties covered during the rated year, along with a description of any areas of special emphasis.
- Part 4 is for evaluating the NCO's service according to the Army's core values and beliefs. The task of the evaluating officer is to decide whether the NCO meets all of the Army's core values and to provide any additional comments about the evaluation.
- Part 4 continues with sections where the rater must evaluate the NCO's abilities in five specific areas:
- Physical fitness and military bearing;
- Responsibility and accountability.
There are four possible grades:
- "Excellence" (exceeding the standard);
- "Success" (meeting the standard);
- "Some need for improvement";
- "Much need for improvement".
After providing an evaluation of the specific areas mentioned above, the evaluating officer and senior raters are asked to provide an overall assessment of the NCO's yearly performance in Part 5.