Download VA Form 3288 Request for and Consent to Release of Information From Individual's Records
VA Form 3288 Instructions
There are three main ways to request your C-files:
- visit your local VA Regional Office;
- complete Form 3288 VA and mail it to your VA regional office;
- submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to the VA.
It is recommended to call ahead of time to schedule an appointment. Do not expect to obtain a copy of your C-file upon your arrival, as it may take some time.
If you submit an FOIA request, the VA normally gives a response within 20 business days. The VA can charge a fee to make a copy of a claims file.
How to Complete VA Form 3288?
The form is a two-page document.
- Enter the address of the VA office in the "To" box;
- Enter your name and your Social Security number;
- Enter your VA file number;
- Veteran's Request. Enter your name in the "Name" box;
- Provide complete information as to why you need the data, as well as specify what kind of information you need exactly;
- The form should be signed by you or by a person authorized by you to do so.
Where to Mail VA Form 3288?
The completed form should be mailed to a local VA Regional Office. You can find a list of the VA offices on the official VA website.