VA Form 22-1990E Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is Form 22-1990E?
VA Form 22-1990E, Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits, is completed by service members' dependents (spouses and children) to apply for the transfer of entitlement of educational benefits based on the service member's military service. It is possible to transfer unused educational assistance to family members if the service member has had at least six years of service and committed to four more years so that their spouse or child could receive benefits.
- Transferred Benefits Form.
This form was released by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The latest version of the form was issued on March 1, 2023, with all previous editions obsolete. You can download a fillable Form 22-1990E through the link below.
VA Form 22-1990E Instructions
Follow these steps to fill out VA 22-1990E Form:
- State your name, social security number, sex, and date of birth.
- Add your mailing address, telephone numbers, and e-mail address.
- Indicate your direct deposit details to receive benefit payments - routing or transit number, type of the account, and the account number.
- Specify your relationship to the service member. Answer "yes" if you have received a high school diploma or equivalency certificate and add its date of issuance.
- Select the type of benefit to be transferred to you. The benefits from these programs can be transferred:
- Montgomery GI Bill Educational Assistance Program (MGIB) - Chapter 30 of title 38, U.S. Code;
- MGIB-Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 1606 of title 10, U.S. Code;
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code;
- Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33 of title 38, U.S. Code.
- Specify your type of training or education - college or another school, certification or licensing test reimbursement, apprenticeship, etc. Provide the name and address of the school and indicate your educational or career objective.
- If you have any Federal Aviation Administration flight certificated, specify them in the provided space.
- Describe your education after high school. Add the name and location of the education provider, dates of education or training, the degree or certificate you received, and your major field of study. If you had a journeyman rating or license to practice a profession, add employment details - your principal occupation, license or rating, and the number of months employed.
- If you receive or plan to receive any money from the Armed Forces or government agencies during the period for which you have applied for education benefits, answer "yes."
- Add the service member's name, social security number, the branch of service, and address.
- Certify the information in the form is true and correct before signing and dating the application.
Mail the completed form to the VA processing office for the region of the school's address after you have received the approval from the service member's military branch to request a transfer of benefits.
Download VA Form 22-1990E Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits