VA Form 21-686C Instructions
The form is made up of two pages with no filing guidelines provided in the form. Complete filing instructions are provided below.
How to Fill out VA Form 21-686C?
- Item 1 is for the veteran's name. If another person acts as a claimant, their name is specified in Item 2a. Items 1b and 2b should contain the veteran's or the other claimant's Social Security Numbers.
- Item 3 is for the number of the VA file. Item 4 should include a claimant's postal and e-mail addresses.
- The applicable marital status is marked in Item 5a. If "never married" is chosen the claimant has to leave Items 6 through 13 blank, married claimants enter their current spouse's date of birth in Item 5b.
- Section I summarizes the information about a veteran's and their spouse's previous marriages. The total number of marriages - including the current one - is provided in Item 6.
- Items 7a through 7e are a chart for the information about the veteran's marriages. The required information includes the dates and places of each marriage, the name of the person to whom a veteran was married, the circumstances of the termination of marriage, and the dates and places of termination.
- Section II is for the information about the previous marriages of a veteran's current spouse. Item 8 is for the whole number of marriages. Items 9a through 9d are identical to Items 7a through 7e.
- Items 10 through 13 contain several questions about the veteran's spouse. Those living with their spouses must complete Item 14a. If a veteran and their spouse live separately, the spouse's address is given in Item 12, and any amounts of money they receive from the veteran is specified in Item 13.
- Section III is for the information about any unmarried children a veteran may have. Items 14a through 14c contain their personal information. This includes their names, dates, and places of birth, and Social Security Numbers. Items 14d through 14i give more information about each child and are completed if applicable. If any child is identified as "seriously disabled" in Item 14h, all supporting medical evidence should be attached to the form.
- Any step children related to the spouse must be listed in Item 14j. The information about children who do not live with their veteran parent is entered in Items 15a, 15b, and 15c.
- Item 16 provides space for additional remarks. A claimant certifies that the provided information is accurate by signing the form in Item 17.
Where to Mail VA Form 21-686C?
The filled-in copy of the form should be sent to the regional VA intake center that will process the documents and inform the claimant on any changes to their status.