What Is Form I-797C?
Form I-797C, Notice of Action, is a legal document the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) send to their applicants and petitioners to notify them of rejection, receipt, transfer, re-open, and appointments (to collect fingerprint records and capture biometrics, conduct an interview or reschedule a previously arranged appointment). It contains guidelines and instructions for you to follow and has a header “This notice does not grant any immigration status or benefit” which is self-explanatory. When you receive Form I-797C in the mail, pay close attention to what is written in it, otherwise, your case might be delayed.
- USCIS Notice of Action I-797C;
- USCIS Form I-797C.
The USCIS uses numerous types of Form I-797 to convey immigration benefits and communicate with petitioners and applicants, but this is not a form you can fill out. The latest version of the form was issued in April 2012 – however, previous editions remain valid and you should keep them for your records. As of today, no I-797C Forms are available for download online.
Form I-797: Types and Functions
USCIS Notice of Action I-797C is, probably, the most common notice sent by the USCIS because it tells the applicant about the next step in the application process. Nevertheless, you may receive one of the following documents as well:
- Form I-797 is a standard form that informs you that your petition or application has been approved. It is not the official document, but it provides the applicant with information about the application so that it is possible to track the case online.
- Form I-797A contains the same details but it is issued to the applicants to replace USCIS Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, which is given to aliens admitted to the U.S. or those who need to adjust their status or extend their stay.
- Form I-797B is sent to the applicant after Form I-140, Immigration Petition for Alien Worker, was submitted to include follow-up instructions.
- Form I-797D generally includes a benefits card – a Green Card or another official document.
- Form I-797E serves as a request for additional evidence for the application.
- Form I-797F grants overseas applicants the right to travel.