Form REG227 Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title - California
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is Form REG 227?
Form REG 227, Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title, is a legal document completed by California residents who want to request a duplicate certificate of title if the original document is not available and transfer the vehicle or vessel to the new owner. It is necessary to order a title replacement to obtain proof of ownership or finalize the transfer of the vehicle or watercraft.
- California Title Transfer Form;
- California Duplicate Title Form.
The form was released by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on September 1, 2021, with all previous editions obsolete. A fillable Form REG 227 is available for download below.
Form REG 227 Instructions
Form REG 227 is also known as the California Title Transfer Form and California Duplicate Title Form to reflect two main purposes for completing this document. If you need a duplicate certificate of title, complete sections 1-3, and if you want to transfer your vehicle to the new owner, the seller must fill out sections 1-4, while the purchaser fills out sections 6 and 7.
Provide the following information in the application:
- State the reason for filing by checking the appropriate box and describe the vehicle or watercraft - add its license plate or registration number, vehicle or hull identification number, year and make of the vehicle or the vessel builder;
- Identify the owner of record: state your full name, driver's license or ID card number and its state of issuance, physical and mailing addresses;
- Identify the legal owner - an individual or entity that provides the financing, also known as the lienholder or titleholder. Add the name of the finance company, bank, or person who has a lien on the vehicle or watercraft and indicate their address;
- If you need to obtain a duplicate title, explain what happened to the original document, print your name and telephone number, sign and date the application;
- When transferring the item, you need to confirm the release of interest in the described property by signing the form;
- Skip Section 5 - it releases the lienholder's interest when filed along with Form REG 166, The Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release;
- If the vehicle or vessel was bought or otherwise transferred, the new owner must complete the second page of the application. Add the date the item was acquired and its purchase price. If the vehicle or watercraft was received as a trade or gift, check the appropriate box and indicate the market value of the property. Add your full name, driver's license or ID card number, physical and mailing addresses. You may add two more co-owners to the application. State the address where the trailer coach or vessel is principally kept, add your telephone number, sign and date the form;
- If the new legal owner is a lienholder, write down your name and addresses;
- If the vehicle was sold by the dealership, the dealer' agent must enter the dealership's name, name of the purchaser, date of transaction, their contact information, and sign the release.
Download Form REG227 Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title - California