VA Form 24-0296 Direct Deposit Enrollment
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is VA Form 24-0296?
VA Form 24-0296, Direct Deposit Enrollment is a document used to enroll in direct deposit or to make a change to an already existing direct deposit account. Direct deposit is a deposit of electronic funds by a payer directly into a payee's bank account. It is the fastest, safest, and most cost-efficient method for veterans to receive their payment. There are four main reasons to switch to electronic payments:
- Immediate access to the funds. There is no need for a trip to a bank to deposit or cash the check, the veterans do not have to wait for the post service to deliver an envelope;
- Financial crimes. The problem of stolen identities, stolen checks, or fraudulent claims is evident;
- Cost savings. It is not very cost-efficient for the government to send out millions of benefit payment checks. When it comes to electronic payments, no money is wasted on paper, ink, and delivery;
- Easier problem resolution. It is much harder to track down the problem with a paper check. Also, there is always a risk for a check to be lost in the mail or to be delayed.
The latest version of the form was released by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) on August 1, 2019, with all previous editions obsolete. An up-to-date VA Form 24-0296 fillable version is available for download below and can be found through the VA website.
VA Form 24-0296a, International Direct Deposit Enrollment is a document used to enroll in direct deposit internationally. It is available to U.S. military retirees who live overseas in the eligible locations.
VA Form 24 0296 Instructions
VA 24 0296 Form consists of four sections:
- Section I - Veteran's identification information: veteran's full name, social security number, VA file number, the date of birth;
- Section II - Beneficiary's identification information: beneficiary's full name (if other than veteran), social security number, VA file number, the type of the benefit, the address of the person receiving payment;
- Section III - Financial institution information: the routing transit number, the account number (checking or savings), the name of the financial institution, the telephone number of the financial institution;
- Section IV - Payee certification: VA form 24 0296 requires the applicant to certify the entitlement to the payment, and the understanding of the form. Through this certification, the payment is authorized to be sent to the financial institution named in the third section to be deposited to the designated account. The payee signs the form, writes down the actual date and the telephone number.
How to File VA Form 24-0296?
When the VA 24-0296 form is filled out, it can be mailed to the following address: The Department of Veterans Affairs, 125 S. Main Street, Suite B, Muskogee OK 74401-7004
To prevent interruptions in payments and communications with the VA it is recommended to keep contact and direct deposit information up-to-date. It is important to inform the VA about any change, such as a change in marital status, family size, and everything else that may affect payment or rating. The direct deposit or contact information can be updated in two ways: by mail or by phone. It is possible to call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 (TTY - teletypewriter - 1-800-829-4833).
Download VA Form 24-0296 Direct Deposit Enrollment