DD Form 314 Preventive Maintenance Schedule and Record
What Is DD Form 314?
DD Form 314, Preventive Maintenance Schedule and Record is a form used to schedule regular preventive item maintenance and to document the maintenance actions performed. All maintenance recorded on the form must performed on a time or mileage basis. As an example, the schedule should be used to record maintenance done every 2 months, every 1000 miles or after every 2000 hours of operation.
The latest edition of the form - sometimes incorrectly referred to as the DA Form 314 - was released by the Department of Defense (DoD) in December 1953 with all previous editions being obsolete. A fillable DD Form 314 is available for download below or can be found through the Executive Services Directorate website.
There are several forms related to the DD 314:
- The DA Form 2404, Equipment Inspection and Maintenance Worksheet is used to report faults or malfunctions.
- The DA Form 2407, Maintenance Request is used for requesting support maintenance.
- The DA Form 2409, Equipment Maintenance Log (Consolidated) is used to record the whole history of maintenance of a particular item of equipment
- The DA Form 4177, Utilities Inspection and Service Record is used to schedule inspections and preventive maintenance
- The DA Form 10-5464-R is used by pipeline patrollers to report pipeline leaks.
How to Fill out DD Form 314?
The form is made up of a single sheet of paper with no additional guidelines provided. DD Form 314 instructions are as follows.
- First, the form requires the equipment registration or serial number followed by the administration number which is the bumper or locally assigned number. The equipment nomenclature is given in the corresponding box with the remark if the item is a part of a system or subsystem.
- The other two boxes at the top of the form are for specifying the model format and the organization that possesses the equipment under the preventive maintenance.
- The worker responsible for the job should mark the dates when the next preventive maintenance is scheduled.
- The "Remarks" section should include information according to the type of the equipment. The sections labeled "Date received," "Received from," and "Disposition" are self-explanatory and filled in as needed according to each specific situation.
- The vehicle status should be reported to the section or shop supervisor. All environmental potentially high-risk areas identified during the maintenance should be briefed to the chain of command.