Download DD Form 149 Application for Correction of Military Record Under the Provisions of Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 1552
DD Form 149 Instructions
All the data provided within the form should be either typed or printed. Each and every box must be filled in. If an item is not applicable, enter NONE in the appropriate line.
You do not need to appear before the board personally unless it considers your presence necessary. In this case, you must appear before the board for a hearing. Your expenses cannot be compensated.
- Start by filling in your name and the information about the branch of service, present or previous pay grade and service number, if any.
- State your current status regarding Military service; enter the type and date of discharge from active duty.
- Describe the desired correction in Box 5. If possible, name the document containing the mistake and state the changes you want to make. Explain why you believe that a form contains wrong information in Box 6. Also, provide the date on which you believe the error occurred in Box 7.
- List all documents you plan on attaching as evidence - along with signed witness testimonies - in Box 9.
- If you need to add more information, use the "Remarks" box. If the provided space is not enough, attach a continuation sheet.
The applicant must sign the DD Form 149. If it is impossible due to a valid reason like death or disability, a legal representative must sign the form and attach a proof of disability or death.
Where to Send DD Form 149?
The addresses for mailing the application for correction of military records vary according to the service branch of the applicant.
- Army active duty personnel must mail the application to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records, 1941 Jefferson Davis Highway, 2nd Floor, Arlington, VA 22202-4508
- All the other army service members should submit the form to the Army Review Boards Agency Support Division in St. Louis at 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5200
- Soldiers serving or discharged from the Navy or Marine Corps mail their documents to the Board for Correction of Naval Records at 2 Navy Annex, Washington, DC 20370-5100
- All Air Force service members - including Army Air Corps and Air Forces - should apply to the Board for Correction of Air Force Records SAF/MRBR at 550-C Street West, Suite 40, Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4742
- Coast Guard personnel need to mail their paperwork to the Board for Correction of Military Records of the Coast Guard (C-60) at Room 4100, Department of Transportation, 400 7th St., SW, Washington, DC 20590