VA Form 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits
What Is VA Form 22 1990?
VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits is a document used for applying for the veterans’ educational benefits and assistance.
The latest version of the form was released by the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA) in December 2016 and replaces the now obsolete November 2014 edition. An up-to-date VA Form 22-1990 fillable version is available for download below or can be found through on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
The 22-1990 - also known as the GI Bill form - is applicable to several country-wide programs including the following:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (for military veterans having served since September 11, 2001);
- Montgomery GI Bill - or MGIB (for active duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once after completing a minimum service obligation);
- Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserve - or MGIB-SR (for reservists having a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve and actively drilling);
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program - or VEAP.
VEAP is applicable to duty members that have joined the Army between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987, contributed from $25 to $2,700, completed their first period of service and were discharged or released from service under any conditions other than dishonorable. Servicemembers on active duty have the right to receive VEAP benefits if they have three or more months of contributions available.
The 22-1990 can be used for a college degree and certificate programs, technical and vocational courses, licensing and certification tests, apprenticeships or on-the-job training, hi-tech training, flight training, entrepreneurship training, certain entrance examinations, and correspondence courses. It cannot be used for vocational rehabilitation and employment benefits, Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry scholarship, transfer of entitlement, or national call to service. A person can apply for these benefits using other documents.
VONAPP 22-1990 Form Applications
Earlier, the VA Form 22-1990 could be filled through the Veteran On-Line Application service (VONAPP). This program has been retired since September 2017 and the VONAPP website is no longer available to users.
VA Form 22-1990 Instructions
The 22-1990 Form can be filed and submitted online through the Veterans Benefits Administration Education and Training website.
If a candidate needs planning individual educational and career goals, the VA can offer a variety of counseling services to help them with their decision. These services include educational and vocational guidance together with the necessary testing to determine the candidate’s skills, talents, and interests.
For more information on VA counseling call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 or 1-888-442-4551.
How to Fill Out VA Form 22-1990?
The candidate should provide their personal data, select the benefits being applied for, as well as the type and program of education or training. Other information includes service, education and employment details, marital and dependency status along with the entitlement to and usage of any additional types of assistance.
Individuals who have already selected a school or training establishment should take the following steps:
Step 1. Mail the completed application to the VA Regional Processing Office for the region of that school's physical address.
Step 2. Approve the request for VA education benefits with the veteran officials at the chosen school or training establishment. These will officials will have to provide your enrollment information to the VA using the VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, or its electronic version.
Step 3. Wait for the department to process the document and to send the notification of its decision concerning the candidate’s rights for education benefits.
Individuals who have not yet selected a school or training establishment should take the following steps:
Step 1: Mail the completed application to the VA Regional Processing Office for the region of their home address.
Step 2: Wait for VA to process the document and deliver a notification of its decision concerning the candidate’s rights for education benefits.
VA 22-1990 Related Forms
- VA Form 22-1990e, Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits is a form used to apply for a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) to dependent family members and is filed by servicemembers eligible to transfer benefits to their dependents. The servicemember's military branch should approve the request to transfer benefits. The VA Form 22-1990e cannot be used for claiming the servicemember’s own benefits.
- VA Form 22-1990t, Application for Individualized Tutorial Assistance is used to apply for supplemental payments for tutorial assistance. The subject must be necessary for the completion of the VA-approved program. The candidate should be training at least one-half of the time of a post-secondary program at an educational institution to be eligible to receive assistance.
- VA Form 22-1990n, Application for Va Education Benefits Under the National Call to Service (NCS) Program is used to apply for education benefits under the National Call to Service (NCS) program.
Individuals are eligible to apply for these benefits if they first entered service on or after October 1, 2003, signed an enlistment contract with under the NCS program, and then elected one of the two education incentives provided by the NCS