Download Form SSA-89 Authorization for the Social Security Administration (Ssa) to Release Social Security Number (Ssn) Verification
What Is SSA-89 Form Used for?
Form SSA-89 - also known as the SSA Form 89 - efficiently verifies whether a name and a Social Security Number combination match the data in the SSA records. It is generally used for a background check or pre-employment screening, credit check, seeking employment, a mortgage loan, a license, and insurance. The CBSV provides real-time validation of an individual's personal data - a full name, a social security number, a date of birth, and a death indicator which helps mitigate identity theft and fraud.
Form SSA-89 Instructions
- Fill out the form completely and legibly;
- Place only one piece of information in one field;
- All the dates in the form must be in identical formats. The variations of the dates are not acceptable;
- Enter your full name, your date of birth, and social security number;
- Indicate the reason you want the information released. It is valid and efficient for all legitimate business verification purposes, including, for example, pre-employment background screening, banking services, personal loans;
- Select a reason for using CBSV - a mortgage service, a background check, a credit check, a banking service, a license requirement, etc.;
- State the company's name and current address;
- If applicable, write down the name and address of the company's agent;
- Certify you are the individual to whom the social security number was issued or the legal guardian or the parent of a minor or a legally incompetent adult;
- Affirm that the information contained in the form is correct and true. Be careful and provide all your information exactly how it appears in the SSA records. If this is not the case, the verification process may be unsuccessful or delayed. If the form is completed with false information, you could be found guilty of a misdemeanor and fined up to $5000;
- Indicate the consent's period of validity;
- Sign the form and write down the actual date. Once you sign the form, it is valid for 90 days unless you state otherwise. If the 90 days have passed and the company still has not verified your social security number information, you will have to sign another copy. Hence, it is very important to write down the actual date along with the signature;
- Fill out the «Relationship» field if you are a legal guardian or a parent;
- Provide the contact information - your current address and a phone number;
- You do not need to provide any additional materials or supporting documents for this consent form to be effective.
Form SSA-89 FAQ
Why Do I Need to Fill out the SSA-89?
In situations where you need to prove that the social security number is yours, you have a right to use this form. When you provide your social security number, you use a secure and unique method of identifying yourself. You prove that the social security number is actually assigned to you by using the SSN verification form. In many cases, mortgage lenders or banks require this document as a protection measure against identity theft. Normally, you will not have to be the one to initiate the process of completing the form. To the contrary, a third party is the one that usually requests you to sign it at the appropriate point in the business transaction process.
Why Is the SSA-89 Form Required for a Mortgage Loan?
Mortgage companies gather information in order to give you the loan. They usually ask for your income and expenses, employment history, loans, and bank accounts, what real estate you already own, whether you are involved in any lawsuits or filed for bankruptcy. Additionally, they are allowed to ask for your social security number. They have the responsibility to make sure the information you submitted is true to protect themselves and you from identity fraud.
Where to Send Form SSA-89?
The consent-based SSN verification form (CBSV) or the CBSV SSA-89 Form is different from other social security forms. When you download, print and complete a paper version of the form, you can simply mail it or take it to the third party that has requested it and that you have listed on the form. After that, the company or its official will enroll in the CBSV and, using the form, will obtain the actual verification of your social security number. Then you will be able to move forward with whatever business transaction you are undergoing.