Form DL44 Driver License or Identification Card Application - California
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is Form DL 44?
Form DL 44, Driver License or Identification Card Application , is a document issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) . The application is supposed to be used when the filer is applying for:
- A driver license or ID card;
- Renewing their driver license or ID card (if it is expired or near the expiration date);
- A duplicate of their driver license, or for a replacement of their ID card (if it was lost or stolen);
- A correction or a name change in their driver's license or ID card.
Apart from the reasons listed above, the application can also be used to apply for a senior ID, remove restrictions from a driver's license, or to change or add the class of a vehicle. This application was last revised on October 1, 2008 .
How to Get a DL 44 Form?
This document is only available through official sources since every copy of the form is serialized and has a unique number. A legal copy of this form can only be obtained at a local DMV office. However, if an applicant would like to acquaint themselves with its content, a DL 44 sample is available for download below.
California Form DL 44 Instructions
Form DL-44 consists of several parts, with each one of them dedicated to a different field of information.
- In the first part of the document, the filer must refer to the reason they are applying. The document offers the filer to choose from:
- Driver License. This includes any changes connected with a driver license;
- Identification Card. If the filer wants to get, replace, or renew their ID Card, they should choose this option;
- Name Change/Correction. Individuals can choose this option if their application is connected with correcting or changing their name on a driver's license or ID Card.
- The next part of the application is for identification purposes and is supposed to be filled in by every filer regardless of the reason they are applying. Here the filer must provide personal information such as their Driver's License or ID number and date of expiration, full legal name, date of birth, social security number (SSN), full address, and a description of their appearance.
- The document also contains a section for those filers who are not eligible for an SSN. In this section, those filers who don't have an SSN certify that an SSN has never been issued in their name, and they will provide their SSN when one will be assigned to them.
- Part four is supposed to be filled out only by those filers who are applying for a driver's license, regardless of whether they are applying for a renewal, for a duplicate, or else. In this part, the filer must designate what kind of license is needed:
- Basic License. This includes Basic Class C or a motorcycle;
- Non-Commercial License. Class A or Class B;
- Ambulance Certificate. Only for those drivers who are authorized to drive an ambulance and respond to emergency calls.
- The rest of the form contains questions about a previous driver's license or ID Card the filer had and any medical condition that might affect their ability to drive. It also has two special sections, one of them is supposed to be filled out if the filer wants to register as an organ donor, another one is for those who want to register to vote or to change their voting address (or political affiliation).
- If a form is being filled out by a driver who is under 18, then their parent or guardian must sign it with the filer in the area provided.
Download Form DL44 Driver License or Identification Card Application - California