DD Form 1380 Instructions
In combat or training all personnel, not only soldiers and combat medics, are in danger of becoming casualties and of being first responders. Almost all combat fatalities occur before the casualty is able to reach a medical treatment facility, so performing trauma care and recording it properly has saved hundreds of lives. Documentation of medical interventions at the point of injury is crucial to ensuring continuity of medical care and providing meaningful data of medical techniques, tactics, and procedures applied. It is paramount to optimize trauma care delivery and its documentation to save lives on and off the battlefield.
The DoD provides official instructions explaining how to fill out DD Form 1380. Filing procedures are as follows:
- Choose the casualty's evacuation precedence/priority (urgent - within 2 hours, priority - within 4 hours, or routine - within 24 hours);
- State the battle roster number using the first letters of the casualty's first and last name, and the last four numbers of the Social Security Number (SSN). For example, John Winston 123-45-7891 is battle roster number «JW7891»;
- Write down the casualty's full name, last four digits of the SSN, the date and time of injury, the unit name and casualty's known drug allergies;
- Select the mechanism of injury - choose all causes that apply;
- Mark an «X» to show the location of the injury on the body picture. If tourniquets are applied to arms and legs, write the type of the tourniquet used and the time of its application;
- Record vital signs and symptoms. Provide information on the pulse rate and location, blood pressure, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, the level of consciousness, and the level of pain;
- State the type of treatment that applies. «A» means Airway interventions, «B» describes Breathing interventions, and «C» stands for Circulation hemorrhage control interventions;
- Write down the name, the volume, the route, and the time of any fluids or blood products are given;
- Describe any analgesics, antibiotics, and other medications used;
- Use free space to mention any other pertinent information or to clarify statements;
- Write down the first responder name in print and state last four digits of the first responder's SSN;
- All the items on the DD 1380 must be filled out clearly, using a marker or non-smearing pen.