DD Form 2765 "Department of Defense/Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card"

What Is DD Form 2765?

The DD Form 2765 or the Department of Defense/Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card is a tan-colored Military ID card used to identify certain categories of retired and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces. These categories include but are not limited to:

  • Medal of Honor recipients;
  • 100% Disabled Veterans - or DAV for short;
  • Former service members in receipt of retired pay;
  • Transitional Health Care Members;
  • Full-time paid personnel of the USO serving outside the United States;
  • United Seaman's Service (USS) personnel when serving outside the United States;
  • Officers and Crews of Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels deployed to foreign countries;
  • Select Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve personnel.

The DD Form 2765 issued by the Department of Defense (DoD) should not be confused with the DA Form 2765-1, Request for Issue or Turn-In - a Department of the Army (DA) form used for tracking issued equipment within the Armed Forces. As of today, no fillable DD Form 2765 copies can be found online.


DD Form 2765 Benefits

The document provides access to a variety of benefits and services. These include legal assistance, Tricare, use of welfare and morale activities, education benefits, commissaries, etc. Eligibility for these privileges is usually limited to the categories of current and retired service members described above.

How to Apply for DD Form 2765?

The first step is to determine and confirm eligibility. After confirming eligibility, take the following steps:

  1. Complete a DD Form 1172-2 necessary to register you in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
  2. Visit a Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) site for final verification and processing purposes.
  3. Bring two original IDs. At least one of these documents must be a valid state or federal government-issued picture identification, e.g. a driver's license, a current DoD ID card or another similar document.

Honorably discharged non-retirement eligible veterans rated 100% disabled due to the Uniformed Service-connected injury or disease may apply for the DD 2765 ID card. They need to provide a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) certifying the veteran is entitled to commissary and exchange privileges and a copy of a DD Form 214 reflecting an honorable discharge to receive the ID.

Those wishing to renew DD Form 2765 need to obtain a copy of the DD Form 1172-2, Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment. Complete Sections 1 through 3, print the document out and submit it to the nearest RAPIDS office. Follow the instructions of the official representative, and once everything is approved, you will receive the updated ID.

ID Cards Related to the DD Form 2765

In addition to the DD 2765 form, other U.S. military ID cards include:

  • DD Form 1173 (Tan), provided to the eligible dependents of active duty and retired service members.
  • DD Form 1173-1 (Red), issued to the dependents and family members of the ex-members not in receipt of retired pay, reserved members not on active duty or in receipt of retired pay, other categories described in DoD policy.
  • DD Form 2 - Retired, Reserve, and Reserve Retired (Blue, Green, and Red), obtained by members of the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL), Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL), retired members entitled to retired pay, Individual Ready Reserves & Inactive National Guard, and retired Reserve members under the age of 60.

Download DD Form 2765 "Department of Defense/Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card"

2104 times
Rate (4.3 / 5) 55 votes