Form OAHP1403 "Architectural Inventory Form - Colorado Cultural Resource Survey" - Colorado

What Is Form OAHP1403?

This is a legal form that was released by the Colorado Department of Higher Education - a government authority operating within Colorado. As of today, no separate filing guidelines for the form are provided by the issuing department.

Form Details:

  • Released on September 1, 1998;
  • The latest edition provided by the Colorado Department of Higher Education;
  • Easy to use and ready to print;
  • Quick to customize;
  • Compatible with most PDF-viewing applications;
  • Fill out the form in our online filing application.

Download a printable version of Form OAHP1403 by clicking the link below or browse more documents and templates provided by the Colorado Department of Higher Education.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Download Form OAHP1403 "Architectural Inventory Form - Colorado Cultural Resource Survey" - Colorado

1344 times
Rate (4.4 / 5) 67 votes
OAHP 1403
Official Eligibility Determination
Rev. 9/98
(OAHP Use Only)
Date
Initials ___________________
COLORADO CULTURAL RESOURCE SURVEY
________
Determined Eligibile-NR
________
Determined Not Eligible-NR
Architectural Inventory Form
________
Determined Eligibile-SR
________
Determined Not Eligible-SR
Page 1 of 4
________
Need Data
________
Contributes to Eligibile NR District
________
Noncontributing to Eligibile NR District
I. IDENTIFICATION
1. Resource Number:
5EP731
Parcel Number:
6418217021
SHF Grant Number:
CO-03-15
2. Temporary Resource Number: 69
3. County: El Paso
4. City: Colorado Springs
5. Historic Building Name: Dern Tea and Coffee/Peyser Jewelry/Kaufman's
6. Current Building Name: Dern Building/Sonterra Grill/Fujiyama
26-28 S. Tejon St.
7. Building Address:
8. Owner Name and Address: CENTRE DEVELOPMENT CO OF COLORADO SPRINGS LLC C/O COLORADO
STRUCTURES, 540 ELKTON DR #202, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80907
II. GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION
6th
14S
66W
9. P.M.
Township
Range
SW
1/4
SE
1/4
SE
1/4
NW
1/4
18
of Section
10. UTM Reference
Zone 13
Easting 515326
Northing
4298032
Colorado Springs, Colo.
1961 (revised 1994)
7.5'
11. USGS Quad Name:
Year:
Map Scale:
LOT 1
12. Lot (s):
Block(s): N/A
Addition: THE DERN GOOD SUB
Year of Addition: 1985
13. Boundary Description and Justification:
Boundary includes the building and the parcel on which it is located.
III. ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION
Rectangular
14. Building Plan (footprint, shape):
15. Dimensions in Feet: Length
142
X Width
48
16. Stories:
2, 3
17. Primary External Wall Material(s) (enter no more than two):
Brick
Stucco
18. Roof Configuration (enter no more than one):
Flat
19. Primary External Roof Material (enter no more than one):
Asphalt
20. Special Features (enter all that apply):
Decorative terra cotta. Decorative cornice.
21. General Architectural Description:
Asymmetrical two- and three-story flat roof commercial building. Front wall composed of stippled buff brick.
Extensive use of cream-white decorative terra cotta ornamentation. Third-story section at north end has terra cotta
coping and projecting molded cornice; two sets of paired four-over-one-light windows with terra cotta sills. Two-
story portion has molded terra cotta coping with a scroll at the north and a scroll and an urn at the south end. The
second story has a projecting molded terra cotta cornice with a dentil course; five round arch multiple-light windows
with ornamented molding compound arch, springing from round terra cotta columns with hybrid capitals; terra cotta
sill course with molding and dentil course. Between each window are round terra cotta plaques featuring a blue
OAHP 1403
Official Eligibility Determination
Rev. 9/98
(OAHP Use Only)
Date
Initials ___________________
COLORADO CULTURAL RESOURCE SURVEY
________
Determined Eligibile-NR
________
Determined Not Eligible-NR
Architectural Inventory Form
________
Determined Eligibile-SR
________
Determined Not Eligible-SR
Page 1 of 4
________
Need Data
________
Contributes to Eligibile NR District
________
Noncontributing to Eligibile NR District
I. IDENTIFICATION
1. Resource Number:
5EP731
Parcel Number:
6418217021
SHF Grant Number:
CO-03-15
2. Temporary Resource Number: 69
3. County: El Paso
4. City: Colorado Springs
5. Historic Building Name: Dern Tea and Coffee/Peyser Jewelry/Kaufman's
6. Current Building Name: Dern Building/Sonterra Grill/Fujiyama
26-28 S. Tejon St.
7. Building Address:
8. Owner Name and Address: CENTRE DEVELOPMENT CO OF COLORADO SPRINGS LLC C/O COLORADO
STRUCTURES, 540 ELKTON DR #202, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80907
II. GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION
6th
14S
66W
9. P.M.
Township
Range
SW
1/4
SE
1/4
SE
1/4
NW
1/4
18
of Section
10. UTM Reference
Zone 13
Easting 515326
Northing
4298032
Colorado Springs, Colo.
1961 (revised 1994)
7.5'
11. USGS Quad Name:
Year:
Map Scale:
LOT 1
12. Lot (s):
Block(s): N/A
Addition: THE DERN GOOD SUB
Year of Addition: 1985
13. Boundary Description and Justification:
Boundary includes the building and the parcel on which it is located.
III. ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION
Rectangular
14. Building Plan (footprint, shape):
15. Dimensions in Feet: Length
142
X Width
48
16. Stories:
2, 3
17. Primary External Wall Material(s) (enter no more than two):
Brick
Stucco
18. Roof Configuration (enter no more than one):
Flat
19. Primary External Roof Material (enter no more than one):
Asphalt
20. Special Features (enter all that apply):
Decorative terra cotta. Decorative cornice.
21. General Architectural Description:
Asymmetrical two- and three-story flat roof commercial building. Front wall composed of stippled buff brick.
Extensive use of cream-white decorative terra cotta ornamentation. Third-story section at north end has terra cotta
coping and projecting molded cornice; two sets of paired four-over-one-light windows with terra cotta sills. Two-
story portion has molded terra cotta coping with a scroll at the north and a scroll and an urn at the south end. The
second story has a projecting molded terra cotta cornice with a dentil course; five round arch multiple-light windows
with ornamented molding compound arch, springing from round terra cotta columns with hybrid capitals; terra cotta
sill course with molding and dentil course. Between each window are round terra cotta plaques featuring a blue
Resource Number: 5EP731
Architectural Inventory Form
Temporary Resource Number: 69
Page 2 of 4
and white shield ornament.
The first story storefronts have metal lintels and piers and a clerestory with opaque panels. There is a center inset
entrance with double glazed doors with transom and sidelights. Metal frame fabric awning. Double metal frame
glazed doors at south end with transom and sidelights with metal awning above. North end has two inset entrances
with metal frame glazed doors. Rear walls red brick upper stories and stuccoed first story; metal stairs from second
story to ground; two large metal vent ducts on wall.
22. Architectural Style/Building Type:
Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Italian Renaissance
23. Landscaping or Special Setting Features:
Abuts buildings to north and south; concrete sidewalk; small tree adjacent to sidewalk.
24. Associated Buildings, Features, or Objects:
None.
IV. ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY
25. Date of Construction: Estimate
1911
Actual
Source of Information: El Paso County Assessor
26. Architect:
Unknown
Source of Information:
27. Builder/Contractor:
Unknown
Source of Information:
Joseph G. Dern
28. Original Owner:
Gazette, 25 May 1909, 1
Source of Information:
29. Construction History (include description and dates of major additions, alterations, or demolitions):
In 1938, the south first story storefront was reclad in marble; this material was subsequently removed. The current
storefronts were built in 1996.
30. Original Location: Yes
Date of Moves:
V. HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS
Commerce and Trade/Specialty Store
31. Original Use(s):
32. Intermediate Use(s): Commerce and Trade/Department Store
33. Current Use(s):
Commerce and Trade/Restaurant
34. Site Type(s): Commercial building.
35. Historical Background:
Joseph G. Dern purchased the building then at 26 S. Tejon St. in 1909 for investment purposes from Miss Eva T.
Church for about $28,000. According to the Assessor, this building was constructed in 1911. Mr. Dern probably
erected this building as the Derns continued to be associated with it for many years. Joseph George Dern was
called "one of the leading business men of Colorado Springs and one of the most widely liked and admired of the
Pikes peak region citizens." He was president of the Dern Tea and Coffee Co., as well as a banker. Mr. Dern was
born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in 1871 and came to Colorado Springs in 1899 for his health. He married Laura E.
Jackson of Colorado Springs in 1901. Before moving to Colorado Springs, Mr. Dern founded the internationally
known Dern Co., which made Derngood coffee, candy, and other products. He lived in Denver from 1891-1899.
The Derns' two sons, Jack and George, were associated with the business. Joseph Dern was a member of the city
council from 1921 to 1927 and served as mayor pro tem in the latter year. He served as a directory of Colorado
Savings bank, as well as president and vice president of the institution. Mr. Dern died in 1937.
In 1911, the Dern Tea and Coffee Co. was located here (in number 26) with Mr. Dern as president. Number 28 was
occupied by Miss Dora Jahn who rented furnished rooms; Mrs. Elizabeth Lippiatt rented furnished rooms there in
1912. By 1921, the scope of Mr. Dern's business had expanded: the Dern Food Co. roasted coffee, imported tea,
and made candy. W.J. Peyser, jeweler, occupied number 28 in 1921. In 1931, number 28 housed the Wright
Resource Number: 5EP731
Architectural Inventory Form
Temporary Resource Number: 69
Page 3 of 4
Stores, Inc., department store (Bryan Wright, president and manager) and the Sperry-Hutchinson premium goods
store (Mrs. Nellie E. Metz, manager). In February 1937, Treece-Hardin Furniture moved into number 28, with Lee
O. Treece as the manager. The company was established in 1923, when the proprietors came to Colorado Springs
from southeastern Kansas. A branch store was opened in Grand Junction in 1927. The store featured new and
used furniture and included special infants and kitchen departments.
In June 1938, Kaufman’s Department Store announced plans to move its business into number 28. Kaufman spent
more than $19,000 to modernize the building before opening here in early 1939. Changes included installation of a
new storefront of white Colorado Yule marble, strips of red LeVanto marble, glass brick, new display windows, and
the store name in bronze indirectly lighted with zeon lighting. The first and second floors of the store had fixtures
designed by Harold C. Ferree, a San Francisco store architect; the basement was used as the budget shop. The
elevator was relocated to the center of the building, and departments were “grouped for convenience and
compactness so that the customer may shop with the utmost speed and ease.” Kaufman’s was founded in
Colorado Springs by Mose and Sam Kaufman in 1896; they were joined by B.S. Kaufman in 1897 and Oscar
Livermore in 1900. R.M. Livermore assumed leadership of the company in 1934, following the death of Oscar
Livermore. The store carried clothing for men, women, children, and infants, as well as accessories. Kaufman’s
remained in this location until 1948, when it moved across the street to 27 S. Tejon.
In August 1948, the new Anita Department Store opened in the old Kaufman's space at number 28. Charles Colby
was owner of the store, which featured women’s and children’s apparel. Mrs. J.G. Dern, owner of the building, cut
a ribbon opening the store on 28 August, and the first 5,000 women to visit the shop received free gardenias. The
1951 city directory listed the Anita Dress Shop here (Nannie M. Lewis, manager) and the Lorber Shoe Co. (C.A.
Murray, manager).
Following Joseph G. Dern's death, the Dern Company continued to operate at number 26. In 1941, Joseph J. Dern
was president of the firm and George L. Dern was secretary. By 1951, George L. Dern was president and treasurer
of the Dern Company, which included coffee, tea, spices, baked goods, confectionery items, and "Colorado made
products." T.J. Middle was the store manager. By 1961, Clark's Candies (run by John Kennington) shared this
space with watchmaker Walter D. Knight.
In June 1953, Hatch’s, an appliance, jewelry, radio, and television store, moved into number 28. The business
traced its origins to a small music store established by Arnold C. Hatch in 1920. In 1934, the firm organized as
Hatch & Co., with partners Arnold C. Hatch, Hazel V. Hatch, R.S. “Bob” Hatch, and Jack Machol. Since 1939, the
company had joined with the Gazette-Telegraph in sponsoring the yearly cooking school at the City Auditorium.
The new store featured a complete General Electric kitchen displays. Hatch & Co. was still located here in 1965,
offering appliances, televisions, bicycles, furniture, and carpeting. Robert S. Hatch and Jack A. Machol ran the
company at that time.
36. Sources of Information:
El Paso County Assessor records; Colorado Springs city directories; Sanborn fire insurance maps; Historic Building
Inventory Record form, 5EP731, May 1985; Gazette, 25 May 1909, 1, 28 Feb. 1937, 2, 21 November 1937, 1, 5
June 1938, 1, 27 Nov. 1938, 28 Aug. 1948, 1, 3 Oct. 1951, 5, 21 June 1953, C1; Pikes Peak Library District, Local
History Collection, Photographs, image A81.82.9, 1938 and image A-799, 16 Sep. 1933.
VI. SIGNIFICANCE
No
N/A
37. Local Landmark Designation:
Date of Designation:
Designating Authority:
N/A
38. Applicable National Register Criteria:
A.
Associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad pattern of our history;
B.
Associated with the lives of persons significant in our past;
Embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or represents the work of a master, or that possesses high
C.
artistic values, or represents a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction; or
D.
Has yielded, or may be likely to yield, information important to history or prehistory.
Qualifies under Criteria Considerations A through G (See Manual).
Does not meet any of the above National Register criteria.
X
39. Area(s) of Significance:
40. Period of Significance:
Resource Number: 5EP731
Architectural Inventory Form
Temporary Resource Number: 69
Page 4 of 4
41. Level of Significance:
42. Statement of Significance:
This building, erected by Joseph G. Dern, is representative of the smaller commercial buildings erected in Colorado
Springs during the 1910s. Joseph Dern founded and operated the Dern Tea and Coffee Co., which was located
here for many years. Mr. Dern was a member of the city council, mayor pro tem of Colorado Springs, president of
the Colorado Savings Bank, and ardent supporter of the city. The building is also associated with downtown
commerce, housing a variety of retail businesses over the years including Dern's Coffee and Tea (later the Dern
Co.) from 1911 through the 1950s and Kaufman's Department Store (1939-48).
43. Assessment of Historic Physical Integrity Related to Significance:
The upper stories display good historic integrity. The first story storefronts have been altered (1996).
VII. NATIONAL REGISTER ELIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT
47. National Register Field Eligibility Assessment: Not eligible
Yes
48. Is there National Register district potential? Discuss.
This building is a contributing resource in the potential Downtown Colorado Springs Commercial Historic District.
An intensive survey of the area should be undertaken to determine the boundaries of the district and the
contributing/noncontributing status of its resources.
If there is NRHP district potential, indicate contributing status: Contributing
49. If the building is in an existing NRHP district, indicate contributing status: N/A
VIII. RECORDING INFORMATION
50. Photographic Reference(s): 6: 18A, 19A, 24A-27A
Negatives Filed At: Colorado Springs Planning
Photographer: R. Whitacre
51. Report Title: Historical and Architectural Survey of Downtown Colorado Springs, 2003-04
52. Date(s): Oct. 2003-Mar. 2004
53. Recorder(s):
R.L. Simmons/T.H. Simmons
54. Organization:
Front Range Research Associates, Inc.
55. Address: 3635 W. 46th Ave., Denver, CO 80211
56. Phone Number(s): (303) 477-7597
NOTE: Please attach a sketch map, a photocopy of the USGS quad map indicating the resource's location, and photographs.
Colorado Historical Society-Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation
1300 Broadway, Denver, Colorado 80203 (303) 866-3395
Page of 4