A New York Vehicle Bill of Sale is a legally binding document that records the details of the transfer of ownership of any vehicle after it was sold by the seller to the purchaser.
- New York Car Bill of Sale.
This agreement is the main evidence the vehicle has changed the owner - it will make the purchaser a legitimate possessor of the car, while the former owner is no longer liable for the item, which is especially important when it comes to vehicles since a transferred car can be used to commit offenses. Below you can find out the proper documentation to fill out when selling and buying vehicles in the state of New York.
Is a Vehicle Bill of Sale Required in New York?
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles requires the new owner to submit Form MV-912, Vehicle Bill of Sale, as proof of ownership - without this document, the purchaser will not be able to register their vehicle. Even if the car or other type of vehicle was given to you as a gift, you have to present a New York State Vehicle Bill of Sale to become the legal owner of the vehicle.
The forms below can be completed instead of a New York State Car Bill of Sale to transfer the ownership of the vehicle:
- If the vehicle has a burden in the form of a lien, the lienholder (typically, a garageman) can fill out Form MV-901B, Garageman's Affirmation and Bill of Sale, to sell the vehicle and receive compensation for unpaid towing, storage, and repairs.
- To formalize the transfer of the vehicle to a new owner, a lender who currently has the vehicle of the borrower in default may prepare Form MV-950, Affirmation of Repossession and Bill of Sale, to sell it after notifying the vehicle owner.
- Self-storage managers and owners should complete Form MV-905, Self-storage Owner/Operator Affirmation and Bill of Sale, when selling the vehicle to offset the unpaid storage fees.
- If the vehicle costs less than $500, a garageman can take advantage of a simplified process of filing a lien with Form MV-901D, Garageman's Certification and Bill of Sale for Vehicles Worth Less Than $500.00. You can learn more about this document and the process of charging for unpaid storage and towing using official Instructions for Form MV-901D.
How Do You Write a Bill of Sale for a Car in New York?
New York State Vehicle Bill of Sale requirements are as follows:
- Write down the names of the parties.
- State the purchase price of the vehicle and certify the intention of the seller and the buyer to transfer the title.
- Describe the vehicle in question - indicate the year, make, model, and identification number.
- If there are any additional conditions to the transaction, you can list them in the form.
- Sign and date the form. The parties must also enter their full names and addresses.
Related Tags and Topics:
Fill out this document to record the details of a vehicle sale in the state of New York. The same form is used to document the transfer of a vessel. It is the official State of New York Bill of Sale released by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.