How to Fill Out DA Form 4856?
The DA Form 4856 is convenient and mostly self-explanatory. Fully completed DA Form 4856 examples are also easily found online.
- The form consists of four parts. The first one contains the personal information of the individual receiving the counseling: their full name, rank, and organization as well as basic information about the counselor.
- Part II is for the counselor to fill out prior to the session. The review should be brief and provide the main purpose of the upcoming counseling session and any facts and observations important to the case.
- Part III contains a summary of the counseling session itself. This part must be filled during the meeting, or immediately after it. However tempted you may feel to fill out the Key Points of Discussion field in advance, it may seriously hurt the whole communication process.
- Counselors must set goals in order to create effective action plans. These goals are determined at the end of each session. This is essential for keeping the counseled individual motivated, helping define specific trackable aims and providing clear and comprehensive directions.
- Part IV contains an assessment of the action plan proposed in Part III. Its purpose is to help the counselor evaluate whether the actions taken helped the individual and to provide information for follow-up sessions.