How to Fill out DD Form 2977?
- Fill in the Mission/Task description Field. Briefly describe the overall Mission or Task for which the deliberate risk assessment is being conducted. List the date in the appropriate Field;
- Provide the information about the individual conducting the deliberate risk assessment for the operation or training in the 'PREPARED BY' Field;
- The UIC Field requires the Unit Identification Code. The CIN Field is for the Course ID Number; 'OPORD' stands for 'OPERATION ORDER'; DSN is for the 'Defense Switched Network' and 'COMM' stands for 'COMMERCIAL';
- In the 'SUB-TASK/SUB-STEP OF MISSION/TASK' Field briefly describe all subtasks or substeps that warrant risk management;
- Specify hazards related to the subtask in Item 4;
- In the 'INITIAL RISK LEVEL' describe the probability and severity of each mission. Use the risk assessment matrix to determine the risk levels for each hazard. List risk mitigation resources and controls in the 'CONTROL' Box;
- The 'HOW TO IMPLEMENT/WHO WILL IMPLEMENT' Box requires a brief description of the means of employment for each control and the name of the individual unit or office that has the primary responsibility for control implementation;
- Determine the probability, severity and residual risk level in the drop-down menu in the 'RESIDUAL RISK LEVEL' Box;
- Assign an overall residual risk level in Box 10 after completing the previous block. The number should be equal to or greater than the highest residual risk level from Item 9;
- The 'OVERALL SUPERVISION PLAN AND RECOMMENDED COURSE OF ACTION' Field requires the preparer to identify the specific tasks and levels of responsibility for supervisory personnel and provide a recommended course of action for approval or disapproval based on the overall risk assessment;
- The 'APPROVAL OR DISAPPROVAL OF MISSION OR TASK' Field is provided for the Risk approval authority tasked with approving or disapproving the mission based on the provided risk assessment;
- The 'RISK ASSESSMENT REVIEW' Columns are for documenting regularly held reviews;
- Provide specific input on the effectiveness of risk controls and their contribution to mission success or failure in the 'FEEDBACK AND LESSONS LEARNED' Field. Include recommendations for new or revised controls, possible solutions, or alternate actions;
- Fill in the 'ADDITIONAL COMMENTS OR REMARKS' Field with any additional data that would support the integration of risk management.
Filled-out DD Form 2977 examples can be found online. The information gathered during the Risk Management process on the DD 2977 or other RM worksheets should be thoroughly analyzed and kept for later use. The feedback provided via the risk assessment worksheet can help practitioners develop new techniques and implement them into future army activities and operations.