DD Form 2656-2 Instructions
- The two-page DD Form 2656-2 is made up of five sections. Section I provides filing instructions and describes the applicability of the form and lists mailing addresses.
- Defense Finance and Accounting Services, U.S. Military Retired Pay, 8899 E. 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200 for U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and the Air Force
- Commanding Officer (RAS), U.S. Coast Guard Personnel Service Center, 444 S.E. Quincy Street, Topeka, KS 66683-3591 for the U.S. Coast Guard and NOAA
- Compensation Branch, 560 Fishers Lane, Room 4-50, Rockville, MD 20857 for the U.S. Public Health Service
- Section II identifies the retired service member and requires a name, social security number, and date of retirement in Boxes 1, 2 and 3 respectively.
- Section III is the termination request. The retiree must read the statement in Box 4 and sign the line below indicating consent to discontinue SBP participation.
- Section IV is for spouse concurrence. Concurrence is required only if the current beneficiary is a legal or former spouse. The statement is provided in Box 5; the spouse must provide their signature, date of signing, social security number and printed name in the lines below the statement. If a former spouse election was required by court order then a certified copy of the modified order allowing SBP termination must be attached to the DD 2656-2. Spousal concurrence is not required in this case.
- Section V is for certification by an SBP Counsellor or Notary Public. Their signature certifies that the spouse signed the form in their presence and provided some sort of ID to identify them as the person signing the DD 2656-2.
DD 2656-2 Related Forms
- DD Form 2656, Data for Payment of Retired Personnel is used to elect an SBP and designate beneficiaries for retired pay.
- DD Form 2656-1, SBP Election Statement for Former Spouse Coverage is a form used by spouses and former spouses of servicemen for purposes of providing information regarding SBP benefits.
- DD Form 2656-5, RCSBP Election Certificate is used by Reserve Component Members to make an election for the RC SBP.
- DD Form 2656-6, SBP Election Change Certificate is used by retired service members to change a Survivor Benefit Plan election.
- DD Form 2656-7, Verification for Survivor Annuity is used by a surviving or former spouse to verify eligibility for an annuity under the SBP.
- DD Form 2656-8, SBP Automatic Coverage Fact Sheet is used to determine retiree's marital and dependency status in order to establish and maintain an accurate accounting of the retired pay account.
- DD Form 2656-10, SBP/RC SBP Request for Deemed Election is used by former spouses to provide information related to SBP coverage.
- DD Form 2656-11, Statement Certifying Number of Months of SBP Premiums Paid is used if the individual disagrees with the number of months credited toward Paid-up SBP by the Defense Finance and Accounting Service.