Download DD Form 293 Application for the Review of Discharge From the Armed Forces of the United States
How to Change Military Discharge Status?
In case the veteran, survivor or any legal representative discovers an alleged error or injustice within their records, they have the right to file a change request within three years. It is necessary to provide sufficient evidence to the board of corrections, that proves that the alleged entry or omission in the records was in error or unjust and to justify any changes to the records.
Even in cases when the applicant clearly misses the three-year deadline, it's still strongly advised that they file for a review anyway. The corrections board may overlook the failure to file within the prescribed time if the applicant provides sufficient information to justify the reasons for missing the deadline. The applicant is under full responsibility to prove that he had a valid excuse to put off the filing past the appropriate deadline and explain why it would be in the interest of justice for the board to consider it despite the delay.
The applicant needs to go through the following steps to request a change in military discharge paperwork or a change of records:
- To request a change in discharge status, download and file a copy of DD Form 293 - the form can be filed in writing or digitally. Be specific about your military service. Send it to the appropriate address listed below.
- For changes in military records, download and file a copy of DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record - the form can be filed in writing or digitally. Be specific about your military service. Send it to the appropriate address listed on the back of the form.
If your discharge certificate is successfully changed, you will receive a new DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty from the Board.
Where to Send Dd Form 293?
- For the Army: mail to the Army Review Boards Agency, 25118th Street South Suite 385, Arlington, VA 22202-3531 - visit the Pentagon official webpage for more information.
- For the Air Force: mail to the Air Force Review Boards Agency, SAF/MRBR, 550-C Street West, Suite 40, Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4742
- For the Navy and Marine Corps: mail to the Secretary of the Navy, Council of Review Boards, ATTN: Naval Discharge Review Board, 720 Kennon Ave S.E., Suite 309, Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023
- For the Coastguard: mail to the Commandant (CG-133), Attn: Office of Military Personnel, US Coast Guard Stop 7907, 2703 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20593-7907