DD Form 2401 Civil Aircraft Landing Permit
What Is DD Form 2401?
DD Form 2401, Civil Aircraft Landing Permit is a form used for obtaining permission for a civil aircraft to use a military airfield for landing. This permit allows landing only, without any other services - like receiving fuel - available from U.S. Army sources.
The latest version of the form - sometimes confused with the DA Form 2401, Organization Control Record for Equipment - was released by the Department of Defense (DoD) in January 2008 with all previous editions being obsolete. An up-to-date DD Form 2401 fillable version is available for digital filing and download below or can be found through the Executive Services Directorate website.
Any civil aircraft located on military airfield grounds should have a copy of the DD 2401. Corporate planes must have a letter from the Contracting Officer's Representative that affirms the requirement to land with their application on hand at all times.
How to Fill out DD Form 2401?
The two-page form itself does not provide any filing guidelines. DD Form 2401 instructions are as follows:
- The applicant only fills out the first page of the document. After reading the information at the top of the page, the applicant has to provide their name, their relation to parenting organization - if any - and their address in Item 1;
- Item 2 requires specifying the name of the airfield that is going to be used for landing;
- The applicant has to specify whether the pilot's instrument rating is current by checking the applicable box in Item 3;
- Item 4 provides space for describing the purpose for which the airfield will be used;
- The tables in Item 5 require the information on the aircraft. That includes the name of the manufacturer, the model, registration number, its capacity for crew and passengers, the maximum takeoff weight, and equipment on board;
- Item 6 requires the individual or authorized company representative to certify all of the information above with their typed full name, title, phone number, signature and the date of filing the form;
- The second page of the form is reserved for the approving authority. Only the completely filled in and signed form can act as a permit. The first page of the form only indicates the desire to use the military airfield, but does not grant the permission to do so.
The completed DD 2401 should be submitted to one of the addresses on the second page of the form.
For Department of the Army airfields mail forms to the Commander at the United States Army Aeronautical Services Agency (USAASA), Attn: ATAS-AS, Bldg 1466 9325 Gunston Rd, Suite N319, FT Belvoir, VA 22060-5582 (703) 806-0686
For Department of Navy airfields mail forms to the Commander at the Naval Facilities, Engineering Command (Code: REAT), Washington Navy Yard, 1322 Patterson Ave. S.E., Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20374-5065 (202) 685-9202
For Department of Air Force airfields mail forms to the HQ USAF/A30-AC, 1480 Air Force Pentagon RM 5E857, Washington, DC 20330-1480 (703) 697-5967
DD 2401 Related Forms
The DD 2401 is issued for the duration of insurance coverage specified in the DD Form 2400, Civil Aircraft Certificate of Insurance, which should be filled in and submitted by the insurance company that will overlook the flight.
The DD Form 2402, Civil Aircraft Hold Harmless Agreement is a legal form that serves as a contract between the U.S. Army and a person or company intending to use military airfield facilities.