IRS Form 982 Instructions
The IRS Form 982 is a simple one-page document. Fill it out using the following instructions:
- Provide your name and identifying number as indicated on your income tax return;
- Line 1. Determine whether you claim the reduction of tax attributes due to insolvency, release from qualified farm indebtedness, principal residence debt, or other. Read the detailed description of each case provided in the IRS-issued Form 982 Instructions carefully before checking the applicable box;
- Line 2. Provide the total amount you want to exclude from your gross income because of release from paying off debt. The debt discharge amount may exceed the total tax attributes in some cases, so if you have checked Line 1a, 1b, or 1c above, the amount in this line may differ from the total reductions on lines 5 through 3;
- Line 3. Choose if you want to treat the real property held for sale to customers as the depreciable property. Note that the election is not applicable to the release from real property business debts;
- Part II. Reduction of Tax Attributes. If you have checked box on Lines 1a - 1c, you can request to reduce the basis of depreciable property, including the property you have elected on Line 3, by filling out Line 5. If you do not complete Line 5, fill out Lines 6 - 13 (except for Line 10b) for tax attributes reduction;
- Line 7. Fill out this line to reduce general business credit carryover. The carryover is reduced by 331/3 cents per each dollar you exclude from gross income. Find the details on the general business credit and rules for the calculation of carryforward or carryback on IRS Form 3800, General Business Credit;
- Line 10a. Complete this line to reduce the basis of non-depreciable and depreciable property for cases that do not apply to be reported on Line 5. Do not fill out this line if you have checked Line 1c;
- Line 10b. Complete it to reduce the basis of your principal residence. If you were discharged from your principal resident debt but still remain the owner of the home, enter either the basis of your primary residence or the part of Line 2 that refers to the exclusion of the principal residence debt. Enter the smaller amount of the two;
- Part III. Consent of Corporation to Adjustment of Basis of its Property under Section 1082(a)(2). By completing this form, you agree that the basis of your corporation property is adjusted according to the general rule. If you want to amend it, attach a request for variation to this form.
Check the information provided on the form attentively to avoid issues with the IRS. Do not forget to attach a description of all transactions that result in basis reduction under Section 1017.
Where to Send IRS Form 982?
File IRS 982 when claiming your tax deductions and submitting your federal income tax return. Attach this form to your tax return documents and send them to the same address. Send it to the same address you sent the initial return even if you are filing this form later. The exact address depends on the state you live in. Find the full list of addresses on the IRS website.