The Internal Revenue Service, usually referred to as the IRS, is the U.S. federal agency under the control of the U.S. Department of Treasury that handles the collection of federal income taxes from individuals and organizations alike. Being the major source of funding for the federal government, this agency has issued multiple IRS fillable forms you can fill out and send along with the money you owe. The IRS makes sure everyone pays their fair share of taxes, so you must be prepared to submit the required documentation and the accurate amount of payment on time.
Common IRS Forms
With the help of our guide, you will know more about the most widely used IRS tax forms, their purpose and particular characteristics. Whether you need to file taxes for yourself and your family or you represent a business or a government entity, current documentation, as well as IRS prior-year forms, can be useful not only for reporting income but also for retaining proper records in case of an audit and any disputes with the IRS. You can download IRS free fillable forms and comply with present laws and regulations that govern mandatory tax filing.
- IRS Form 1040 is the default tax return used by taxpayers to report their annual income.
- IRS Form 1040-SR is a simplified tax return that was designed for senior citizens (age 65 and older) to facilitate tax filing for them.
- IRS Form 1040-ES is a document completed by individuals to calculate and pay tax on income not withheld at its source (for instance, income from self-employment, dividends, interest, etc.)
- IRS Form W-4 is prepared by the employee once they start their new job to let the employer know how much tax must be withheld from future paychecks.
- IRS Form W-9 is used by employers and various entities to request verification of the individual's personal information, including their taxpayer identification number.
- Prepare IRS Form 4506-T when you need to access a copy of a previously submitted tax return - usually, to provide a lender or financial institution with this financial information.
- Used by most employers, IRS Form 941 contains a report of the total amount of tax withheld from employees' paychecks during the reporting period.
- IRS Form W-2 is sent by employers to the IRS and employees to confirm annual wages received by each employee and the amount of taxes deducted from salaries.
- Below you can find different 1099 Forms used to report income that does not include typical wages and salaries - they are known as information returns as opposed to traditional tax returns:
- IRS Form 1099-MISC contains information about business payments received by self-employed individuals and independent contractors, as well as various compensation (awards, prizes, royalties, etc.);
- IRS Form 1099-NEC is generally prepared by businesses that report nonemployee payments - for example, if the company had to pay an independent contractor for their services, the information about this transaction must be sent to the IRS;
- IRS Form 1099-DIV is filled out by financial institutions to inform the IRS and their clients about the total amount of distributions and dividends received during the reporting period;
- IRS Form 1099-INT is given by payers of interest (banks, funds, etc.) to the IRS and all investors to indicate all types of interest income received during the reporting period;
- If you have original issue discount interest of at least $10 included in your income, report interest and investment income you have received from bonds, notes, debentures, and certificates on IRS Form 1099-OID.
- IRS Form 9465 is used by taxpayers who cannot pay all taxes at once and need to ask for an installment plan to deal with their obligations one step at a time.
- IRS Form SS-4 can be completed by organizations that need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) so that tax records for their business are created and they can file taxes.
- IRS Form W-7 is typically filled out by taxpayers without a social security number to identify themselves and report taxes to the IRS.
Where Can I Get IRS Tax Forms?
You are welcome to use our wide-ranging library of fillable IRS Forms. With the help of our website, you can download the latest editions of documentation that must be filed in 2020 and 2021, read the instructions that show all aspects of the filing process, learn when and where to file IRS returns and applications, and maintain proper records for your company or personal use.
Where to Mail IRS Forms?
Each IRS Form mailing address can be different for you depending on your taxpayer status, residence (state and county), the information you provide to the IRS, and the attachment of payment. To learn more about the filing, you can consult the instructions we provide for the IRS forms and publications.
What Forms of Payment Does the IRS Accept?
There are several options for individuals and companies who need to meet their tax obligations and pay taxes:
- Pay cash in person;
- Send a check or money order via mail;
- Send a same-day wire payment from your bank;
- Use an Electronic Funds Withdrawal when filing IRS Forms with the help of a software or a tax professional;
- Pay via the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System - the fastest, most convenient, and secure way.
This is a legal document filled out by various businesses that want to be assigned an employer identification number (EIN), also known as the tax identification number or federal employer identification number, for identifying and tax reporting.
This is an IRS form required in order to submit an information return to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on the amount paid to a recipient.
This form is an individual tax identification number application. It is completed by the foreigners in the United States to apply for the issuance or renewal of their Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
If you are an employer and have to file Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, you need to fill out this form. This form is needed for transmitting a paper Copy A of Form W-2, to the SSA. Make sure you supply your employees with a copy of Form W-2.
This form is also known as the IRS employee withholding form. It is completed by employees to inform the employer about the amount to withhold for federal taxes from their paychecks.
These are the IRS-issued Instructions for the IRS Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number - also known as the individual tax identification number application.
A W-10 Form's purpose is to get the correct information from each entity or individual that provides care for a taxpayer's child or another dependent.
IRS Form W-9S "Request for Student's or Borrower's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification"
This is an IRS application requested from students to provide their taxpayer information to an educational institution (a college or university) or a lender of a student loan.
Download this form for transmitting Copy A of Form W-2C to the Social Security Administration (SSA). You file this form to fix errors on previously filed forms W-2, W-2 (AS), W-2 (CM), W-2 (GU), W-2 (VI), and W 2C.
Use this form to inform the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) about the amount of gambling winnings, as well as to report any federal tax withholdings. Find more information and instructions in the form description.
This form is also known as the pension withholding tax form. Use it if you are a U.S. citizen, or a resident alien to inform payers of the accurate amount of the federal income tax to be withheld from the payments.
The purpose of this form is to provide filers with a Certificate of Registry or a Letter of Registration issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which they will then receive after the IRS processes and approves their application.
Use this form to inform the IRS of the withholdings of your income taxes, social security taxes or Medicare taxes from your paycheck. This document is also required to compensate your share of social security or Medicare tax.
Fill in this form developed for U.S. citizens and residents, domestic corporations, and domestic estate or trusts, to report certain transfers of property to a foreign corporation.
IRS Form 982 "Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness (And Section 1082 Basis Adjustment)"
Fill out this IRS form in order to figure and request the exclusion of the monetary amount of discharged debts from your gross income. A list of situations that prompt you to apply for a reduction of the taxes is given in the instructions for the form.
This is a legal document filed by real estate developers to extend the period for tax assessment and request the use of the estimated costs of common modifications and improvements on a project-by-project basis.
This form is filed to report American Samoa wages and withheld taxes. It is not used for reporting income taxes in the United States. IRS Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement is used in these cases.
If you paid wages in the reported tax year to one or more farm workers, file this form for your annual federal tax return in case the wages you paid to your farmworkers were subject to the federal income, Medicare, or social security tax withholdings.
You may have heard of this form as being called the Employer's Annual Federal Tax Return. Download this document if you are the smallest employer to report Medicare, Social security and income taxes withheld from your paycheck and pay your share of Medicare and Social Security taxes.
Use this document, also known as the Annual Return of Withheld Federal Income Tax to inform the IRS of the so-called nonpayroll payments (taxes that are withheld from pensions, gambling winnings, backup tax withholding, military retirement and so on).
File this document with the Social Security Administration (SSA) if you are a payer or employer who needs to transmit a paper Copy A of forms W-2 (AS), W-2 (CM), W-2 (GU), and W-2 (VI) to the above-mentioned organization.
This document is designed to inform the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) about the United States Virgin Islands salaries and the amount of taxes deducted from them. This document was issued by the IRS, which can send you this form in a paper format, if you wish.
This form is filed to report Guam wages and tax deductions. The document was issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which can send you this form in a paper format, if you wish.
This form is used to supply the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with information regarding receipts, gross income, disbursements, and other data required by Section 6033.
File this form to report your FUTA tax information to the IRS. FUTA tax and state unemployment tax systems are paid to employees who have lost employment. They are paid only by employers only.
Use Instructions to Form 926 to fill in IRS Form 926 and report certain transfers of tangible or intangible property to a foreign corporation, as required by section 6038B.
This is a document released for taxpayers who would like to empower a person to appear on their behalf before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
IRS Form 5471 Schedule M "Transactions Between Controlled Foreign Corporation and Shareholders or Other Related Persons"
Fill in this document if you are a U.S. citizen that had control of a foreign corporation during the yearly accounting period of a foreign corporation
Use this document to inform the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that you no longer reside in the home for which you claimed credit on the tax return form. This form is also used in order to calculate the amount you have to repay.
This IRS form is used by a partnership to report the exchange or sale by a partner of a partnership interest.
Use this form if you are a corporation or another entity eligible to be treated as a corporation in order to elect, under Section 1362(a), to be an S corporation. Your income, however, will most likely be taxed to the shareholders rather than to your corporation.
Submit this form to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) if you are a corporation that offers their employees an incentive stock option (ISO) to report to the IRS about your transfers of stock made to any transferee when that transferee exercises an ISO under Section 422(b).
IRS Form 3922 "Transfer of Stock Acquired Through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan Under Section 423(C)"
This form is also known as the Employee Stock Purchase Plan Tax Form. Corporations are required to submit this document for each legal title of a share the employee acquired under the employee stock purchase plan.
U.S. Taxpayers should use this legal document if they cannot pay their taxes on time and have to postpone their tax filing deadline.
This is an IRS legal document completed by individuals who want to inquire about the status of an expected tax refund.
IRS Form 5213 "Election to Postpone Determination as to Whether the Presumption Applies That an Activity Is Engaged in for Profit"
You file this form to ask for a postponement of the determination whether your business is profitable or non-profit. The document is filed by persons, estates, trusts, and S corporations.