Download VA Form 21-674 Request for Approval of School Attendance
VA Form 21-674 Instructions
Filling guidelines for the 21-674 are provided on the reverse side of the form. Detailed step-by-step instructions can be found below.
How to Fill out VA Form 21-674?
The form can be filled out by a person who is receiving or claiming benefits for an eligible child of a veteran. This child should be between the ages of 18 and 23 and be currently attending school.
This applicant filing the form can be the veteran, a surviving spouse, a guardian or a custodian of the child. The child is allowed to complete the form only upon reaching the age of majority determined by State law.
The document consists of three parts in total. Filing instructions are as follows:
- Item 1 should contain the address of the VA office. This address usually comes pre-printed in the box. If no addresses are provided, the form should be submitted to the nearest VA regional office.
- Item 2 requires the name and email address of the veteran. The VA file number should be indicated in Item 3.
- Item 4 must contain the name and SSN of the veteran's child attending school.
- Item 5 is reserved for student's date of birth, their marriage status, and the date of marriage - if applicable.
- The student's address goes in Item 6. Item 7 is filled out only in cases when tuition is paid for by the VA Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA), Federal Employee's Compensation, or another Federal Agency. Otherwise, Item 7 should be left blank. Social Security benefits should not be taken into account.
- The name and address of the school and the names of the courses taken should be provided in Item 8.
- Item 9 contains three fields used for indicating the official beginning date of the course, the date student starts the course and the expected graduation date.
- A negative answer given in Item 10A should have a further explanation Items 10B, 10C, and 10D.
- Item 11 requires information about the school the student was attending at the end of the last school term. If the student was not attending school, the appropriate checkbox should be ticked in Item 11A.
- Part II should be completed only in case of claiming or receiving disability or death pension. When filling out Part II, none of the items should be left blank. If the student does not receive income from a particular source, "0" or "None" should be typed in. Gross amounts must be calculated before making deductions for insurance or taxes.
- Part III contains certification and an agreement that must be read and signed.
Besides the space for claimant's signature, Part III requires providing the telephone number and date and identifying the relationship of the claimant to the student.
If any additional space is needed, the claimant may attach a separate sheet with the number of the item to which the answer refers. Any attachment must contain the veteran's name and VA claim number.
VA Form 21-674 FAQ
How often do you turn in VA Form 21-674?
It is necessary to turn in this document each time when changing school or courses. The responsible financial aid clerk at the school will help the student with filling out and faxing the paper to the corresponding office at the VA. Any changes in the student's status - like marriage or leaving school - should be reported to the VA via the School Attendance Report.
Where do I send VA Form 21-674?
The original copy of the document should be submitted to the address indicated in Item 1. In case this space is blank, send it to the nearest VA regional office.
How long does it take to process VA 21-674?
It depends on the type of the form submitted. Electronic versions are usually processed faster than paper ones. Usually, it takes about a month or two for the VA to review the request.
How to update 21-674 on eBenefits?
Claims and requests can be submitted to the VA through eBenefits website. This online tool can also be used to update the status of the dependents. Filing the forms online usually means that the requests are processed faster.
All forms submitted through the service should be signed with an electronic signature.
As soon as the claim is received, the VA automatically sends a confirmation e-mail to the applicant. Another e-mail containing the contact information of the regional office processing the claim is sent when the claim is received.
VA 21-674 Related Forms
The request has two related forms:
VA Form 21-674b, School Attendance Report is a document used to confirm school attendance of a veteran child eligible to receive VA compensation or benefits, or to report any changes in student's status, as the discontinuation of study, receiving VA DEA, change of educational institution, marriage, etc. It is distributed in the same file as the VA 21-674 or can be downloaded separately.
VA Form 21-674c, Request for Approval of School Attendance is used to request approval of the specific education or training courses and claim education compensations or benefits.