Your Rights to Appeal Our Decision
In accordance with the VA decision appeal form, there are several courses of action to take, if a veteran disagrees with the initial decision:
- Submitting new evidence in order to support the claim. Any new evidence can be sent to the address mentioned in the VA decision letter. This evidence will be considered if it is new and relevant to the claim. The form 4107VRE VA recommends to describe how the new evidence should change the VA's opinion showing an obvious error helping them to come to a different decision;
- Requesting an informal meeting with the assigned case manager to discuss the decision. It is a means to ensure that the claimant understands the decision and a chance to clarify any issues relating to the claim. If requested, a supervisor may be present during this discussion. After this meeting, the VA lets the claimant know if the new evidence changes their original decision;
- Requesting an administrative review of the initial VA decision. A claimant is eligible to contact the assigned case manager within one year from receiving the decision letter to request an administrative review. It involves the review of the previously submitted evidence. A claimant is notified of the administrative review decision with a letter;
- Making an appeal to the Board of Veterans' Appeals. A claimant has one year to start the appeal process. To begin the appeal, it is necessary to write a Notice of Disagreement and send it to the VA. The VA replies with a Statement of the Case and the VA Form 9, Appeal to Board of Veterans' Appeals, which in turn are to be submitted with a request for a Board hearing.
VA Appeal Form 4107 Series
The Department of Veterans Affairs VA Form 4107VRE has four other related forms:
- VA Form 4107, Your Rights to Appeal Our Decision gives the key information on how to appeal against the VA;
- VA Form 4107c, Your Rights to Appeal Our Decision - Contested Claims relates to disputes involving two persons who wish to receive the same benefit;
- VA Form 4107VHA, Your Rights to Appeal Our Decision tells what to do when the Veterans Health Administration denied a claim;
- VA Form 4107INS, Your Rights to Appeal Our Decision describes the appeal process against an insurance claim decision a claimant is dissatisfied with.