Download DD Form 2648 Service Member Pre-separation / Transition Counseling and Career Readiness Standards Eform for Service Members Separating, Retiring, Released From Active Duty (REFRAD)
DD Form 2648 Instructions
This form can and must be filled online, certified with an electronic signature, printed and signed again by hand.
- After you read the first section of the form, the Privacy Act Statement, start filling out the second section. Fill in the top lines: your name, DoD ID, grade, date of birth, the field of service, component type, unit name and ID code, and military installation.
- Provide basic information about your separation: give a reason, state the type, enter the anticipated date and the day the form was initiated.
- Make sure that you receive proper counseling and complete all applying procedures before completing the third section. Pre-separation counseling is available using the updated Pre-separation script.
- Section III requires short "Yes" or "No" answers for every box. Note that at the end of the section you need both the signature of a transition counselor and your own, done in the same two-step way described above.
- Sections IV and V are for other requirements and curriculum attendance. Section VI is to be signed by yourself and your transition counselor twice.
- You need to receive the Commander or Commander's designee verification for Section VII.
- If you answered "No" in questions 27 and 28 about transportation and housing, you need to file Section VIII.
- Lastly, Section IX can be used for other additional remarks.
Where to Find DD Form 2648?
You can find the fillable form through the link above or on the DoD TAP website.
Why Does DD Form 2648 Have Draft on It?
This watermark distinguishes the PDF draft form the e-filable form. Service members file the form on the DoD TAP website. The DD eForm 2648 becomes accessible after logging in.
When the document is filled out and signed by your Commander, its status will change to "Complete" and you will be able to print it without watermark.