Download VA Form 22-5490 Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits (Under Provisions of Chapters 33 and 35, of Title 38, U.s.c.)
What to Submit with VA Form 22-5490?
The application should be submitted with supporting documents, providing backup and depth to the information on the form. These papers include the following:
- Copy of the Medicare card;
- Documents proving applicant's relationship to the qualifying individual, such as a birth certificate, adoption papers, marriage license;
- DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty;
- School certification of full-time enrollment for children ages 18-23.
VA Form 22-5490 Instructions
The VA Form 22-5490 is made up of eight pages with general information and filling guidelines provided on the last three pages. The instructions for completing the form are below.
How to Fill out VA Form 22-5490?
The VA Form 22-5490 consists of 10 parts:
- Section I. Applicant Information. Enter your personal identification information and contact information, as well as the direct deposit data and name, phone and address of an emergency contact.
- Section II. Qualifying Individual Information. This section is for the personal information about the person, on whose behalf the benefits are claimed. Provide their name, enter their SSN or VA file number, their date of death, if applicable. This part also requires the information, whether the qualifying individual is on active duty and if they or the applicant has a warrant or an outstanding felony.
- Section III. Relationship and Benefits Information, contain two sections. Section I should be filled if you are a spouse of the qualifying individual. If you are a child of a qualifying individual, fill out Section II.
- Section IV. Benefit and Type of Education or Training Information. Enter information regarding the education or training you are claiming. This part should also include information, whether the applicant has a disability, that requires restorative or vocational training.
- Section V. Application History. Fill out this section if you have ever applied for any VA benefit programs.
- Section VI. Applicant's Military Service Information. Fill out this section if you have ever served on active duty in the armed forces and provide information about the service.
- Section VII. Education, Training and Employment Information. Enter information about your school, current and past employment.
- Section VIII. Remarks, Reminders and VA Education Benefits. This section provides for additional remarks. This part can be also used to request a copy of the VA Education Benefits Pamphlet.
- Section I. Certification and Signature of Applicant. By signing and dating the form you certify that all information provided is true and correct.
- Section X. Signature of Parent, Guardian or Custodian. Fill out this section if you are a minor. Enter your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and status. Sign and date the form.
Where to Mail VA Form 22-5490?
- If you have selected a school or training establishment, mail the completed application to the VA Regional Processing Office for the region of that school's physical address;
- If you have not selected a school or training establishment, mail the completed application to the VA Regional Processing Office in your area of residence;
- The form can be completed and submitted online using the VA website.