Download CBP Form 3499 Application and Approval to Manipulate, Examine, Sample, or Transfer Goods
CBP Form 3499 Instructions
Instructions for CBP Form 3499 are as follows:
- The application has to describe the planned manipulation, examination, sampling, or transfer of goods in sufficient detail to give all the necessary information to the port director, who then determines whether the merchandise needs to be cleaned, repacked, sorted, or otherwise changed in condition;
- It is allowed to perform four types of operations with the goods: to take the sample of the merchandise for analysis, to operate the goods with the hands or by mechanical means, inspect them thoroughly with the intention to determine their condition or nature, and move them to another location;
- Then the port director, a person who has jurisdiction of the designated place of manipulation (warehouse, pier, station, etc.), issues a permit on the form making any necessary modification in the form. Without this permit, the warehouse proprietors cannot allow any manipulation of any goods.
How to Fill out CBP Form 3499?
- Enter the name of the person or entity, to which the goods are consigned to;
- Specify the point of export;
- Indicate the port, the port code, and the date of the application;
- State the location of the goods;
- Enter the name of the carrier or the ship;
- Write down the number of the bill of lading or the CBP Form 7512, Transportation Entry and Manifest of Goods Subject to CBP Inspection and Permit;
- State if the area is bonded;
- Add the entry information - warehouse or consumption;
- Describe the operation to be carried out under CBP supervision;
- List the goods to be operated on: their marks and numbers, and a full description;
- Sign the form and write down the actual date.
In addition, this form contains the CBP officer's report. This warehouse officer is required to report the marks and numbers of packages when the goods are repacked. The approving CBP officer signs the form and indicates the manipulated value of the goods.