DA Form 61 Instructions
It is strongly recommended for all the candidates to contact their Professor of Military Science, in-service career counselor, or local recruiter for the details regarding completing the form DA 61 and related documents. Most sections of the form are self-explanatory, but some may require additional information:
- First, the candidate needs to choose the type of appointment to which they are applying to.
- The appropriate number of governing regulation or circular and the applying grade for reserve appointment go in Boxes 2 and 3, respectively.
- ROTC applicants must fill in Box 4, Source of Application, and applicants for appointment as warrant officers need to complete Box 5. The properly qualified military may enter up to three MOS codes in the corresponding field.
- Box 6 requires the choice of branch specialty preferences. It is necessary to indicate at least 10 branch preferences.
- Male applicants are required to choose two combat support arms, two combat arms, and two combat service support arms. The remaining four are left for an applicant to choose.
- Females can indicate one combat arm, except IN and AR, 2 combat support arms and 2 combat service support arms. The remaining five can be chosen by an applicant.
- Warrant Officer Aviators who want to be commissioned have to list AV as the only choice.
- Boxes 7 through 20 require detailed personal information about the applicant.
- Boxes 21, 22 and 23 reflecting the levels of military education.
- The applicant should carefully read the statements in Boxes 24, 25 and 26 and tick the appropriate boxes. They must then choose and complete all following sections according to their branch of service and sign the form.
The complete Army DA 61 form together with all related documents should be submitted to a unit commander. The date they receive your paperwork is considered as the application submission date.