Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is Form SSA-1099?
Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, is a form used to report social security benefits that an individual has received the previous year and contains a list of all received and repaid benefits. The U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) mails the form to all people receiving social security benefits. If you receive benefits on more than one social security record, you may receive more than one Form SSA-1099.
- IRS Form SSA-1099;
- SSA Form 1099.
As of today, no SSA-1099 online copies are available for download or digital filing. A sample of the form can be found through the link below.
When Is SSA-1099 Sent Out?
Form SSA-1099 is sent out annually in the month of January. It is mailed with IRS Notice 703, which contains a worksheet to assist the taxpayer in figuring out whether the benefits are taxable or not. Form SSA-1042S, Social Security Benefit Statement (Nonresident Aliens), is a related form mailed to non-citizens who live outside of the United States and have received or repaid their social security benefits the previous year.
How to Get a Copy of SSA-1099?
A copy of the form will be mailed to you each year in January. Replacements can be provided starting February 1st. If you need a replacement, there are three ways to obtain it:
- Contact your local Social Security office;
- Call the SSA at +1 (800) 772-1213 (TTY +1 (800) 325-0778) Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 7 PM;
- Use the "My Social Security Account" on the SSA website. Once you sign in, click the "Replacement Documents" tab and follow the instructions to receive a printable copy of the form.
How to Get an SSA-1099 for a Deceased Person?
To receive an SSA-1099 for a deceased person, you need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and prove that you are authorized to receive the information. Your request must contain the name, address, and Social Security Number (SSN) of the deceased person. Additionally, you should provide a copy of the death certificate and either a copy of IRS Form 56, Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship, or a copy of Letters TestamentaryA court-issued document that authorizes the executor of a will to take control of a deceased person's estate., approved by the court, if it took place.
IRS Form 56 informs the IRS of a fiduciary relationship. A fiduciary is a person who acts on behalf of another person. If this form is used, additional documentation proving the relationship (e.g., the will of the deceased person) should be attached.
What Is a Non-SSA-1099 Form?
The IRS uses several tax forms under the 1099 number. These forms are used for reporting a variety of income sources, such as dividends, sales proceeds, etc. A full list of IRS 1099 forms can be found on the IRS website.
- IRS Form 1099-A, Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property, and IRS Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt, are issued by lenders.
- IRS Form 1099-B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions, and IRS Form 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount, are issued by brokers or barter exchanges.
- IRS Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions, is issued by investment fund companies.
- IRS Form 1099-CAP, Changes in Corporate Control and Capital Structure, is issued by corporations.
- IRS Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments, is issued by government agencies.
- IRS Form 1099-H, Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) Advance Payments, is issued by health insurance providers.
- IRS Form 1099-INT, Interest Income, is issued by interest income payers.
- IRS Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions, is issued by banks and other payment processors issue
- IRS Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, Iras, Insurance Contracts, etc., is issued by custodian banks. IRS Form 1099-Q, Payments From Qualified Education Programs (Under Sections 529 and 530), is issued by banks managing the individual's 529 plan or Coverdell ESA.
- IRS Form 1099-LTC, Long-Term Care and Accelerated Death Benefits, is issued by insurance companies.
- IRS Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income is issued by employers to report miscellaneous income.
- Form RRB-1099 Tax StatementNot available online., and Form RRB 1099-R, Railroad Retirement Board BenefitsNot available online., are issued by the railroad retirement board.
Form SSA-1099 Instructions
There is no need to fill out SSA Form 1099 - the information provided on the form will be necessary when filing your tax return. The descriptions of the boxes on the form are provided below.
- Box 1 ("Name") contains the name of the individual who received Social Security Benefits in the previous year.
- Box 2 ("Beneficiary's SSN") box contains the SSN of the person whose name was shown in the previous box.
- Box 3 ("Benefits Paid") shows the total amount of benefits paid to the individual. This number may differ from the actual amount of received benefits, because there may be adjustments. If the number in this box has an asterisk, it includes benefits received in earlier years. "Description of Amount in Box 3" lists received benefits in categories and clarifies the adjustments made before the individual received the benefit.
- Box 4 ("Benefits Repaid to SSA") contains the total amount of benefit checks returned to SSA in the previous year. If no repayments were made, the box will contain the word "None." "Description of Amount in Box 4" clarifies the number given in the previous section.
- Box 5 ("Net Benefits") contains the difference between Boxes 4 and 3. This number should be entered in IRS Notice 703. If this number is in parenthesis, it is negative and this means that you repaid more money than you received.
- Box 6 ("Voluntary Federal Income Tax Withheld") contains the amount of income tax withheld from your benefits. This number should be provided in your tax return.
- Box 7 ("Address") will contain your mailing address. Box 8 ("Claim Number") will contain a figure that will be necessary if you contact the SSA.
Download Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement