Form SSA-2-BK Application for Wife's or Husband's Insurance Benefits
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is Form SSA-2-BK?
Form SSA-2-BK, Application for Wife's or Husband's Insurance Benefits, is a legal document completed to apply for spousal benefits based on your current, former, and deceased spouses' primary insurance benefits.
- Application for Spouse's Insurance Benefits.
To fill out this form you must be at least 62 years old. It is possible to collect Social Security benefits equal to half of what your spouse receives if this amount is higher than what you would get on your own. Form SSA-2-BK-SP is available for Spanish-speaking filers.
This form was released by the Social Security Administration (SSA). The latest version of the form was issued on September 1, 2022, with all previous editions obsolete. You can download a fillable Form SSA-2-BK through the link below.
Form SSA-2-BK Instructions
If you have already submitted Form SSA-1-BK, Application for Retirement Insurance Benefits, only fill out the circled items. Provide the following details in the SSA-2-BK Form:
- Indicate the name and social security number of your spouse who was or is a wage earner or self-employed person. Enter your name, gender, social security number, preferred language, date and place of birth, citizenship, or immigration status. If you have used any other names or social security numbers, write them down.
- State whether you have been unable to work during the past 14 months as a result of illness or injury and whether you have ever applied for Social Security benefits, Medicare insurance, or Supplemental Security Income.
- If you were in the active naval or military service between 1939 and 1968, have been eligible for any federal benefits, have Social Security credits under another country's Social Security system, or are entitled to a pension or annuity based on your employment in the government, answer "yes".
- State whether you or the spouse you describe in the application has worked in the railroad industry for five years or more.
- Provide information about your marriage - spouse's name, date of birth, and social security number, date and place of marriage, how, when, and where the marriage ended (if the spouse is deceased, record the date of death). You need to describe any marriage that lasted at least ten years or ended due to the death of the spouse.
- Indicate the names of children or grandchildren of the spouse who lived with you during the last 13 months.
- Describe your employment history for the last three years and enter your total earnings last year and expected earnings this year and next year.
- Choose when do you want to receive your benefits. Enroll in Medicare Part B or file for Supplemental Security Income if you wish.
- Sign and date the form. Provide your telephone number, mailing address, and bank account information to receive direct deposit payments.
Not the form you were looking for? Check out these related publications:
Download Form SSA-2-BK Application for Wife's or Husband's Insurance Benefits