What Is VA Form 21-4142 Series
The VA 21-4142 Series is a set of two forms completed by the veterans that have received treatment from a non-VA healthcare provider and used to authorize the release of medical information and healthcare provider data to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) before filing for disability benefits or when submitting medical claims:
- VA Form 21-4142, Authorization to Disclose Information to the Department of Veterans Affairs, is a form used for disclosing medical records and personal information to the VA;
- VA Form 21-4142a, General Release for Medical Provider Information to the Department of Veterans Affairs, is a form used for gathering and releasing healthcare provider data to the VA. The VA 21-4142a is usually distributed with the main form but can be downloaded and filed separately.
How to Increase Your VA Disability Rating?
VA Forms 21-4142 are often used when applying to increase a VA disability rating due to some medical conditions worsening over time.
- The first step is to research the applicable benefits and determine the necessary type of claim. The claimant can use the VA’s Schedule of Ratings or consult their physician on the chances of success. A disability rating can be either increased or decreased. A renewal request may be submitted after a year of receiving the current rating or sooner by filing an appeal.
- The second step is to provide the VA with access to the claimant’s medical history and any non-VA healthcare providers and facilities by filing VA 21-4142 and VA 21-4142a.
- The final step is to file and submit the VA Form 21-526, Veteran’s Application for Compensation and/or Pension. The form requires listing all disabilities and medical conditions that form the claim with approximate dates and places of occurrence.
The process of increasing the rating might require attending hearings or priding the VA with additional paperwork at their request.
This form is filed by veterans to authorize the release of their medical records and personal information to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
VA Form 21-4142A "General Release for Medical Provider Information to the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)"
This form is used for gathering private provider information about a veteran's private providers for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The release is submitted along with corresponding paperwork.