Download DD Form 2656-10 Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)/Reserve Component (RC) SBP Request for Deemed Election
DD Form 2656-10 Instructions
- The DD 2656-10 consists of five sections. Section I, Member Identification requires identifying information about the eligible service member. That information includes their name, social security number, retirement status and date of retirement, the branch of service and type of duty.
- Section II is for former spouse identification and requires their name, SSN, date of birth and home address. Box 10 is Section II is for marriage history. This includes the date of marriage, date of divorce, current marital status and date of current marriage.
- Section III, Authority to Request Deemed SBP Election consists of three yes or no questions. Box 11 is for stating if the election is made according to requirements of a court order. Box 12 asks if the election is being made due to a written agreement. Box 13 is for certifying that the written agreement mentioned in the previous question had been approved by a court order. Copies of all court orders, agreements and supporting documentation must be attached to the form.
- Section IV is for listing all dependent children if required by the court order or written agreement (Box 14) and writing down any additional remarks (Box 15).
- Section V is for the signature of the former spouse and date of filing.
DD 2656-10 Related Forms
- DD Form 2656, Data for Payment of Retired Personnel is used to elect an SBP and designate beneficiaries for retired pay.
- DD Form 2656-1, SBP Election Statement for Former Spouse Coverage is a form used by spouses and former spouses of servicemen for purposes of providing information regarding SBP benefits.
- DD Form 2656-2, SBP Termination Request is used to voluntarily discontinue participation in the Uniformed Services Survivor Benefit Plan and is witnessed by a Notary public or a designated SBP Counsellor.
- DD Form 2656-5, RCSBP Election Certificate is used by Reserve Component Members to make an election for the Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan during the 90-day period after receiving notification of eligibility to claim Reserve retired pay.
- DD Form 2656-6, SBP Election Change Certificate is a form submitted to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service in Kentucky or the U.S. Public Health Service/Commissioned Corps in Maryland to change a Survivor Benefit Plan election.
- DD Form 2656-7, Verification for Survivor Annuity is used by the surviving spouse, former spouse or dependent children to verify eligibility for an annuity under the Survivor Benefit Plan, Retired Servicemen's Family Protection Plan or Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan.
- DD Form 2656-8, SBP Automatic Coverage Fact Sheet is a form that does not play part in electing SBP. The DD 2656-8 is used to update service members' marital and dependency data to accurately maintain their retired pay account.
- DD Form 2656-11, Statement Certifying Number of Months of SBP Premiums Paid is a form sent to DFAS at London, Kentucky to contest the number of months credited toward Paid-up SBP by the Defense Finance and Accounting Service.