Download DD Form 285 Appointment of Military Postal Clerk, Unit Mail Clerk or Mail Orderly
How to Fill out DD Form 285?
DD Form 285 instructions are as follows:
- The DD Form 285 is prepared in three copies. An appointed mail clerk has to carry a copy with them while performing their responsibilities;
- Box 1 requires the date of filing the form. Box 2 should be left blank until the form is revoked;
- Box 3 is for the full name of the designated official. Box 4 requires their rank or grade. Their social security number is provided in Box 5. Box 6 should contain one of the following titles: Military Postal Clerk, Unit Mail Clerk or Mail Orderly;
- Box 7 requires the exact name of the activity or organization of the service member.
- Box 8 is for the appointee's military installation;
- The specification of the type of mail the appointee will be authorized to receive is provided in Box 9. Box 10 should contain the initials of the official validating the form;
- The form must be signed by both the appointing official and the appointee and validated by the servicing postal facility.