DA Form 1156 Instructions
General DA 1156 instructions are as follows:
- The DA Form 1156 should be prepared right after a casualty occurs. If the battlefield situation does not allow to fill out the form immediately, complete it as soon as you can;
- The responsibility to prepare a casualty feeder card lies with the soldier's squad leader. In case when the squad leader does not have personal knowledge of the situation, the document is filled out by the person who does have firsthand knowledge;
- The completed forms should be submitted to the battalion level as soon as the battleground situation permits. A battalion commander ensures the correctness of the information provided, presence of all the required details, approves all missing, deceased, and Duty Status-Whereabouts Unknown (DUSTWUN) casualty reports, paying attention to detailed description of the situation, timeliness, and accuracy if the reported inflicting force (in case of hostile casualties);
- Each casualty feeder card must be forwarded to the appropriate adjutant (S-1) as soon as possible;
- The adjutant must check the received forms to ensure their completeness and accuracy and forward the casualty report to the appropriate level headquarters;
- It is a matter of utmost importance that the initial report should be received by CMAOC within 12 hours after the incident took place;
- Casualties occurred during field exercises are reported by a central casualty reporting agency established by the exercise director or designated representative. The agency prepares the DA 1156 and forwards them to the nearest CAC.
The detailed instructions and procedure descriptions are provided in Army Regulation 600-8-1, Army Casualty Program.
How to Fill out DA Form 1156?
It is a general requirement that each submitted DA 1156 Form includes as much information about the incident as possible. At the minimum, each casualty feeder card must include:
- The identification information about the service member involved (name, rank, SSN, service, and unit);
- Personnel type;
- Time and place of the incident described;
- Inflicting force;
- Type and status of casualty;
- Brief description of the situation.
All the required fields on the form are marked with asterisks. When reporting a DUSTWUN, missing, or captured personnel, include the date, time, and place where the service member was last seen. The card must include a description of the missing person: height, weight, age, eye color, scars, tattoos, and other identification marks. If the missing service member is reported deceased, the card indicates the person who identified the remains, the means of identification, the time and place of death, and the medical official who pronounced the service member dead. In case the form reports a missing, DUSTWUN, or deceased service member, it must be approved by the commander.