Download VA Form 40-1330 Claim for Standard Government Headstone or Marker
VA Form 40-1330 Instructions
The form is made up of five pages with filling guidelines and general information provided on the first two and the last page. The instructions for completing the veterans headstone application are provided below.
How to Fill out VA Form 40-1330?
- Provide your personal information. This includes your full name, phone numbers, and the total number of pages.
- Indicate whether the VA has previously determined eligibility for burial at a VA national cemetery. The type of request is marked in Box 2. Enter the name of the deceased to be inscribed on headstone or marker in Box 3. If the veteran's grave is unmarked or if it is already marked with a privately purchased headstone or marker, indicate this information in Box 4.
- Enter the race and gender of the deceased in Boxes 5 and 6. Indicate their age at the time of death in Box 7. Enter the veteran's social security number and service number in Box 8. Provide their place of birth in Box 9. Enter their dates of birth and death in Box 10. Give periods of the veteran's active military service in Box 11 and their highest rank attained in Box 12. Specify their branch of service in Box 13.
- Box 14 is for indicating valor or purple heart award. Documentation proving receipt of the awards must be attached to the claim. Box 15 is for choosing the type of headstone or marker requested. The second page of the application instructions has illustrations of the types of headstones and markers available.
- Box 16 is for providing information about the war service. Box 17 is for choosing emblem of belief, if applicable. The last sheet of the form is a list of all available emblems. If there are any additional inscriptions or terms of endearment, they should be provided in Box 18.
- Identify yourself in Boxes 19 and 20. Indicate your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, and fax number in Boxes 19a-d. Indicate your relationship with the deceased in Box 20.
- Mark Box 21 if a presidential memorial certificate is required, and the number of certificates in Box 22. The veteran's headstone application must be certified by the signature of the applicant and date in Boxes 23 and 24. By signing the form, you certify that all provided information about the deceased is true and correct.
- Enter the name and address of the organization or official who will accept the prepaid delivery of the headstone or marker in Box 25, usually, this is the cemetery or funeral home. Enter the phone number of the person accepting the delivery in Box 26. Enter the name and address of the cemetery where the headstone or marker will be placed in Box 27. Box 28 is for the signature of the person accepting delivery. Box 29 is for the date.
- Box 30 is for the signature of the cemetery official at the place of burial. Enter the phone number of the cemetery in Box 31, and the date in Box 32. Enter any additional remarks in Box 33.
- Box 34 must be completed if the remains have not been buried. Provide an explanation in Box 33, including the following specifics: cremated and ashes scattered, buried at sea, or donated to science. Box 35 is completed only if the decedent is to be buried in a State Veterans Cemetery. Enter the section and grave number should be entered in this box.
Where to Mail VA Form 40-1330?
The filled out VA 40-1330 Form can be submitted in two ways: via fax (1-800-455-7143) or by mail to the address of Memorial Programs Service (41B) within the Department of Veterans Affairs: 5109 Russell Road Quantico, VA 22134-3903.