How to Fill out DA Form 3739?
An overview of the U.S. Army DA Form 3739 and filing guidelines can be found in the Army Regulation 614-200, Enlisted Assignments and Utilization Management, released in November 2017. The 2017 edition of the publication removed both the DA Form 3739-1 and DA Form 3739-1-R replacing them with the current form.
DA Form 3739 instructions are as follows:
- The soldier has to state the requested action in the first Box of the form. Boxes 2 through 4 require personal information: the name, rank and last four digits of the soldier's SSN.
The soldier the has to indicate their pro-pay category, ENL commitment, PMOS, SMOS, latest PCS, their ASG/ATCH unit and its phone number in Boxes 5 through 9 and Box 11.
- Box 10 requires the soldiers current status.
- Boxes 12 and 13 are for DEROS and DROS respectively. The soldier has to indicate their marital status in Box 14, and, if applicable, their date of marriage in Box 15.
- Boxes 16a through 16c require information about the spouse: their name, age and present address.
- The soldier has to indicate their BASD, PEBD, ETS, and home phone number, including area code in Boxes 17, 18, 19 and 20.
- Box 21 should contain a list of the authorized family members, including their name, age, relation to the applicant and their address.
- Box 22a requires information on the soldier's parents. This includes their name, age, address, monthly income, and health condition. If one or both parents are deceased, that should be indicated.
- Box 22b is reserved for requests based on soldiers loco parentis. This section requires the dates when the applicant resided with these dependents and their identifying information. This includes names, ages, addresses, monthly income, and health conditions.
- Box 23 is intended to provide information on soldiers siblings, including in-laws if the request is based on in-law problems. This section requires their names, age, relation to the applicant, address, occupation, and income.
- The soldier has to acknowledge any previous requests for compassionate actions in Box 24. If they did, they should describe each case, providing the dates, circumstances and a final decision for every one of those requests.
- Box 25 requires the reasons for the current request. If medical conditions are involved, a statement from an attending physician should be attached to the form.
- The soldier has to describe the measures they have taken to remedy the situation prior to applying for a compassionate action in Box 26.
- Any additional information should be provided in Box 27.
- Finally, the soldier should sign and date the form in Box 28b. The DA 3739 is then handed in.
- Box 29 is for the final decision verified with the signature of a commander or authorized representative and the date of signing the form.