DA Form 3439 Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentality Employment Inquiry
What Is DA Form 3439?
DA Form 3439, Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentality Employment Inquiry is a form used for verifying prior employment by the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) Non-appropriated Fund (NAF) HR Division prior to all offers of NAF employment except for emergency flexible appointments.
The latest release of the form - sometimes incorrectly referred to as the DD Form 3439 - was introduced by the Department of the Army (DA) in January 2002 with the previous edition being obsolete. An up-to-date DA Form 3439 fillable version is available for digital filing and download below or can be found through the Army Publishing Directorate website.
A Nonappropriated Fund employee - or a NAF employee - is a federal employee with a salary paid from funds self-generated by Army-run clubs, sports centers, golf courses, and other activities that use NAF staff.
The two types of NAF employment are "flexible" and "regular" jobs. Flexible employees may work from zero to forty hours per week and are not eligible to receive benefits. Regular employees work between twenty and forty hours per week and are entitled to some benefits.
Download DA Form 3439 Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentality Employment Inquiry
How to Fill out DA Form 3439?
Procedural guidelines and additional information can be found in the AR 215-3, Nonappropriated Funds Instrumentalities Personnel Policy, released in September 2015. DA Form 3439 instructions are as follows:
- Any document or form originating during NAF employment - like requests for personnel actions, letters of reprimand, copies of the DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) or internal placement forms - will be contained in a temporary electronic official personnel folder - or eOPF.
- The CPAC NAF HR Division will establish a suitability file for the information and documents acquired during the background check. This information will be used to determine whether or not a candidate or current NAF employee is suitable for employment.
This file will contain the following forms:
- A local military records check and a civilian law enforcement check;
- A Criminal Investigation Command or Defense Central Investigation Index check;
- An FBI fingerprint check and an Army Substance Abuse Program check;
- Personnel security investigation portal verification;
- An Optional Form 306, Declaration of Federal Employment;
- A DA Form 3437, Department of the Army Nonappropriated Funds Certificate of Medical Examination;
- A DA Form 3439, Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentality Employment Inquiry;
- The decision for employment.
- The CPAC NAF HRD Division will also establish security clearances files and retain those files for two years after the date of separation. No parts of the suitability file can be kept in an employee's eOPF.