Download ATF Form 5320.3 Atf Form 3 - Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer (National Firearms Act)
ATF Form 3 Instructions
Before filling out the form, check and make sure you understand all the instructions and definitions. An explanation of the terms is provided with the document. Follow these instructions when completing the form:
- A separate form must be prepared when requesting a tax-exempt during the transfer of a firearm;
- Prepare the form in duplicate;
- The type of entity indicated in Items 4 and 5 must coincide, as well as the type of entity identified in Items 6 and 7;
- Both copies of the form must contain original signatures in ink;
- Enter all the requested information in blue or black ink;
- The address for submission is provided in the upper right corner of the document. Use it to mail both copies of the form and all the attached documents. Sending them to any other address will only lead to an increase in wait time;
- You can submit the form via fax at (304) 616-4501;
- The ATF will return the approved copy of the application to you. This copy must be delivered to the transferee with the firearms;
- You are not allowed to transfer the firearm until an approval is received;
- After receiving the approval, you must transfer the firearm immediately.
How to Fill out ATF Form 3?
- Item 1. Transferee's Name and Address. Provide the name and address of transferee exactly as it appears on the FFL. Include your trade name here - if any;
- Item 2A. Transferor's Name and Address. Indicate here the name (including trade name) and address as entered on the FFL;
- Item 2B. Transferor's Telephone Number and Area Code. Self-explanatory;
- Items 3A - 3H. Description of Firearms. Complete all applicable items. Be very attentive entering information for your firearm on the form. The information provided should match the information engraved on the transferred firearm exactly. To identify the type of your firearm, check the Definitions section of the form properly. If you transfer more than one firearm with the same description and consecutive serial numbers, enter only first and last numbers of the range into Item 3G. If the description is the same, but serial numbers are non-consecutive, attach a list of serial numbers to the form and note it in Item 3G;
- Items 4 - 5. Transferee's Federal Firearms License/Transferee's Special (Occupational) Tax Status. Make sure the information you have provided in this part matches the transferee's FFL and SOT licenses exactly;
- Items 6 - 7. Transferor's Federal Firearms License/Transferor's Special (Occupational) Tax Status. Double-check if the information you have provided in this part matches the information indicated on the transferor's FFL and SOT licenses exactly;
- Item 8. Consent to Disclosure of Information to Transferee. According to U.S. laws, the information regarding the status of this application can be disclosed only to the person who submitted it. If you want to authorize the ATF to disclose the information regarding the application to a transferee, indicate it in this item.
- Items 9 - 11. Original Signature of Transferor/Name and Title of Authorized Official/Date. Self-explanatory.
How Long Does It Take to Process an ATF Form 3?
The ATF Form 3 wait times have been decreased recently. The ATF usually processes a legibly filled out and properly submitted the form within 20 to 30 days. However, if you provide illegible or incomplete information, the document will be returned and the whole process will be delayed.