How to Fill Out DA Form 5840?
An overview of the purpose of the form and filing instructions are provided in the Army-issued AR 600-20, Army Command Policy, released in November 2014. The fillable DA Form 5840 form is designed as a letter and contains blank spaces that require the following information:
- The name of the guardian;
- The names and ages of the dependent family members that will be in the care of that guardian;
- The address, telephone, and e-mail of the guardian along with their signature and the date of signing.
The form is also filled out and verified by a Notary Public after all lines are completed by the guardian to-be.
DA 5840 Related Forms
The Army helps the soldiers in providing the necessary care for the dependent family members during periods of military-related absences. Family care paperwork includes the following forms:
- DA Form 5305, Family Care Plan - a form used to plan out the care that needs to be provided to the dependants and family members of a soldier during their absence;
- DA Form 5841, Power of Attorney;
- DD Form 2558, Authorization to Start, Stop, or Change an Allotment;
- DD Form 1172-2, Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment. As a rule, this form is completed for each military family member.