VA Form 21P-530 Instructions
The VA Form 21P-530 is distributed without the filling guidelines. The instructions for the form are found below.
How to Complete VA Form 21P-530?
If the surviving spouse has not received the allowance, VA will pay whoever files a claim first: the veteran's surviving spouse, their children or parents, the executor or administrator of the estate or the survivor of a legal union with the veteran.
At least one of the following conditions must be met:
- The death of the veteran was the result of a service-connected disability;
- Their discharge was other than dishonorable;
- They received VA pension or compensation at the time of death;
- They were entitled to receive VA pension or compensation at the time of death but instead received full military retirement or disability pay;
- They died while being hospitalized by VA or while receiving care under VA contract;
- They died while traveling under proper authorization and at VA expense or to/from a place for the purpose of examination, treatment or care;
- They had an original or reopened claim for VA compensation or pension pending at the time of death;
- They died on or after Oct. 9, 1996, while a patient at a VA-approved state nursing home.
The VA Form 21P-530 consists of six parts:
- Part I. Personal Information. Enter the deceased veteran's full name, their social security number, and their VA file number. If you are the claimant, enter your full name, current mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address. State your relationship to the deceased veteran.
- Part II. Information Regarding Veteran. Enter the veteran's date and place of birth, date, and place of death, date of burial, dates of service, service number, grade, rank or rating, organization and branch of service.
- Part III. Claim for Burial Allowance. Enter the type of requested burial allowance. State where the death occurred if you have previously received a VA burial allowance (for spouses), if you incurred expenses for the burial, and if you are seeking burial benefits for the unclaimed remains of the veteran.
- Part IV. Claim for Plot or Interment Allowance. Enter the information about the place of burial or location of remains. State whether you incurred expenses for the veteran's plot or interment if the veteran was buried in a national cemetery, one owned by the federal government, or in a state veterans cemetery. Enter the amount of government or employer contribution.
- Part V. Claim for Transportation Reimbursement. Provide expenses incurred for the transportation of the veteran's remains to the final resting place.
- Part VI. Certification and Signature. Sign and have the form signed by two witnesses.
Where to Mail VA Form 21P-530?
The form must be submitted with the deceased's discharge document and their death certificate attached, as well as a receipt if the claimant requests the transportation allowance. The form may be presented in person or mailed to the local VA regional benefits office. An office location can be found by visiting the VA website.