Download VA Form 21P-534 Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Survivors Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child (Including Death Compensation if Applicable)
VA Form 21P-534 Instructions
The general instructions for the VA 21P-534 Form are provided on the first page of the document. You can detach them and keep them for future reference.
As defined by law, the amount of pension VA pays is based on the family income and assets, as well as on the number of dependent children. Your complete and correct information will be used to determine your eligibility for the benefits.
You can assign a VA accredited Veterans Service Organization, a VA accredited attorney/claims agent, or other service organization recognized by the Secretary of Veteran affairs to act as your official representative. If you wish to use a representative, you need to contact your local VA office and fill out the corresponding forms.
You can ask for a personal hearing during processing the claim or after receiving the VA decision if you believe the VA has made an error. Notify your local VA office and an authorized representative will schedule a time and place for the hearing.
How to Fill out VA Form 21P-534?
When completing the VA 21P-534, it is necessary to print all the answers clearly. All the required items must be filled out. If the answer is "unknown", "no", or "0", that should be indicated in the corresponding field.
Filing instructions are as follows:
- Part I. Claim Information. Provide information on the type of benefits you request, whether you and the veteran have filed any other claims, and your relationship to the veteran.
- Part II. Identifying Information. Provide personal information about yourself and the veteran.
- Part III. Veteran's Active Duty Service. Indicated all the required information for all periods of veteran service. If the veteran has never filed any claim with the VA, attach the original DD214 or its certified copy to this form. The original documents will be returned after processing.
- Part IV. Marital Information. If you request benefits as the surviving spouse, it is necessary to complete Items 22A - 28 providing complete information about your and the veteran union. Otherwise, skip to Part V.
- Part V. Dependent Children. Enter information about biological, adopted, and stepchildren of the veteran. If you are not claiming benefits for the veteran's children, move to Part VI.
- Part VI. Housebound. Complete this section if you request aid and benefits because of being housebound, in a nursing home, or requiring aid and attendance. Moreover, when you claim expenses for an assisted living facility or adult daycare it is necessary to complete VA aid and attendance form worksheets attached to this document.
- Parts VII and VIII. Income and Assets. Provide all relevant information.
- Part IX. Direct Deposit Information. Provide all the required information.
- Part X. Medical. Fill it out if you request unreimbursed medical expenses. Describe all medical, burial, and other unreimbursed expenses.
- Part XI. Signature. Sign and date the completed VA 21P-534.
- Part XII. Remarks. Provide any additional data.
Where to Mail VA Form 21P-534?
Mail the completed VA 21P-534 Form, as well as all the supporting documentation to the nearest regional VA office. The mailing addresses of all the VA offices can be found on the VA official website.