Fill and Sign VA 21P-534 Forms
What Is VA Form 21P-534 Series?
The VA 21P-534 Forms is a series submitted by deceased veterans' surviving spouses and children to receive tax-free dependency and indemnity compensation, various benefits, death pension, and, if applicable, death compensation.
- VA Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation.
Fillable versions of the VA 21P-8416 Forms are available for download below. This series is issued by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and includes three forms in total:
- VA Form 21P-534, Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child (Including Death Compensation if Applicable), is the main document in the series. It is completed in all cases involving the death of a veteran – when the death occurred on active service or was the result of a service-connected disability, or the veteran was entitled to receive VA compensation for the disability connected with active service at the time of death.
- VA Form 21P-534A, Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation by a Surviving Spouse or Child - In-Service Death Only, is used when the veteran died during active duty service.
- VA Form 21P-534EZ, Application for DIC, Death Pension, and/or Accrued Benefits, is a supplementary form in this series. It is the first to complete in order to inform the VA of the evidence and information needed to support a claim to receive benefits, pension, or compensation in the future.
Any eligible surviving spouse or child of a veteran who died in active duty or whose death occurred as a result of a service-connected disease or injury can apply to receive a monthly monetary benefit offered by the VA - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation. A Dependency and Indemnity Compensation claim can be filed at any time.
First, you need to complete VA Form 21P-534EZ to provide the VA with the required evidence of the veteran’s death on active duty/from service-related disease or injury. Mail this form to the Pension Management Center of your state. If you need assistance, the VA regional benefit office will help you via accredited agents and representatives. Whatever the circumstances of the death, if it occurred during active duty service or was the result of a service-connected injury, the VA employee will aid you in completing and submitting the appropriate form.
VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation Rates
There is a basic monthly rate if the veteran's death occurred on or after January 1, 1993 - $1,319.04. Additional allowances – supplementary financial assistance paid in addition to the base payment - may apply:
- If at the time of the veteran's death the VA was providing the veteran with compensation for a service-related injury or disease for at least 8 years and the surviving spouse was married to the veteran the same amount of time, add $280.09.
- $326.77 must be added for every dependent minor child.
- If the surviving spouse is eligible to receive aid and attendance benefits, add $326.77.
- $153.08 must be added if the surviving spouse is qualified to receive a housebound allowance.
- If the surviving spouse has one or more minor children, $282.00 must be added monthly as a transitional benefit.