How to Use DA Form 5513?
The form includes the following sections:
- The name and signature of the person the equipment was issued to;
- Serial number and other identifying numbers of each key;
- The time and date of issuing the equipment (each and every transaction must be listed);
- The name and signature of the person responsible for issuing the key;
- The name and signature of a person accepting the returned key;
- The time and date of the return.
DA Form 5513 instructions are as follows: administrative registers are to keep the filled and completed Key Control Registers for no less than 90 days, AA&E (Arms, Ammunition & Explosives) registers are to keep them for a year minimum. After the storage time passes, the registers are to be disposed of.
If DA Form 5513 is not currently being used, it should be kept in a locked container with controlled access. No classified material should be stored there along with the form. The keys to the key containers should receive the same physical protection as the containers themselves. A person who is not on the unit's list of authorized personnel cannot be held responsible for any keys.
By the end of each daily shift, all keys for all locks must be checked in. Every key not returned by the end of a shift should be accounted for, and high-priority keys should be returned and listed in as soon as they are no longer in use.