Free Character Sheet Templates
Character Sheet: What Is It?
A Character Sheet refers to a detailed summary of the physical appearance, personal characteristics, possessions, and connections of a roleplaying game character. It is crucial to record the attributes of the character before you bring them to life in a board game or game you play online with your friends - determine what motivates the character, what weaknesses they have to address, and how they interact with other characters on the road to achieving their strategic goals. Character Sheets are usually developed prior to the game session; however, there is an opportunity to modify this instrument later if you noticed certain decisions you have made are not yielding desired outcomes.
For a full list of Character Sheet templates please check out our library below.
Character Sheet Template Types
- Call of Cthulhu Character Sheet. Generate a character for the mystery-driven plot - come up with a compelling backstory and list their skills, weapons, and possessions;
- Cyberpunk Character Sheet. If you are fascinated with dystopian fiction and cybertechnology Cyberpunk universe is based on, use this Character Sheet template to outline the description of the character from scratch;
- A D&D Character Sheet can be personalized to include the abilities, weapons, and supernatural powers of the Dungeons and Dragons character before you start playing and during the developing plotline;
- Deadlands Character Sheet. Work on the reference guide you can use during the roleplaying game and describe the character with their stats, experience, gear, and equipment;
- Eclipse Phase Character Sheet. Figure out what traits and abilities your customized character will have to help them achieve the goals in the game.
- A Fate Character Sheet is a great tool any roleplaying game user may fill out to create a character who will fit the interactive storyline you are building with your fellow players;
- GURPS Character Sheet. Whatever game setting you end up choosing, the character is at the heart of it - make sure it is a fleshed-out hero or villain that suits the story;
- Pathfinder Character Sheet. In case you are looking for a heroic fantasy adventure, design a character capable of fighting evil forces armed with magical powers;
- A Savage Worlds Character Sheet will help you to develop a one-of-a-kind character in any genre you like - from superheroes to historical fiction;
- A Shadowrun Character Sheet is going to contain the summary of skills, weaknesses, and connections of a Shadowrun character you make to overcome personal challenges and engage in combat;
- Star Wars Character Sheet. Use iconic movie characters as reference or create a brand new protagonist - summarize their attributes to make a well-rounded character who will exist in a galaxy far, far away;
- A Starfinder Character Sheet is the ultimate choice if you are interested in creating a unique human or alien character dealing with various challenges set in a science fantasy world;
- A Vampire the Masquerade Character Sheet is completed prior to the game session - record the main skills of the character, their physical characteristics, personality traits, and areas they excel in;
How to Make a Character Sheet?
Follow these guidelines to create your own Character Sheet for any roleplaying game you like:
- Consider making an electronic version of the Character Sheet - it will be easier to edit it in the heat of events especially if the stats have to be updated quite regularly or you discover certain attributes do not work for the storyline.
- Separate the document into sections - it is recommended to focus on trained skills, acquired knowledge, belongings, equipment, weapons, and personal relationships of the character. All these elements can be improved as the game progresses taking the player to a new level.
- Leave enough space for a sketch of the character. Additionally, you may offer the players to select a special item the character owns that confirms their affiliation with their race, family, faction, or clique and draw it alongside the main image.
- Support the guide with instructions - you do not need to write an entire handbook but a concise manual that explains how the points should be assigned to various characteristics or what races the characters can belong to will be invaluable.
How to Fill Out a Character Sheet?
Here are some character creation tips that will be useful for an experienced player or a beginner that makes their first steps:
- Pay attention to the background of the character- their upbringing, training, and essential details of their biography. Chances are you will not be able to choose a different clan or rewrite the backstory anew later in the game so think carefully about the past of the character and the abilities they start the game with.
- Reach out to your fellow players in case the interactive story requires you to constantly communicate during the game and improve your odds to succeed. You need to carve out a place for the character in the story - cohesion matters whether you are trying to describe a family or group of warriors with the same traits or outline characters that contribute to the main objective with various talents and expertise.
- Ensure the character is balanced - while it is tempting to only focus on strengths, a good character is a flawed character. Besides, the storyline you will create or participate in with your character will involve obstacles and troubles, and it would be boring to start the game as an overpowered hero without any rivals, so do your best to add certain faults and imperfections in the character description when you are selecting skills and assigning points.
Haven't found the template you're looking for? Take a look at the related templates below: